Help For The Who Babe

nakedeye10--- via TheWho thewho at igtc.com
Thu Feb 26 19:56:52 UTC 2015

Apparently, our beloved Who Babe, Erica, is now fully ready to go public with the state of her failing health.

A Go Fund Me page has been set up by a friend of hers.
http://www.gofundme.com/whobabe

Many of you know her.  You know that she is one of the sparkliest, most vivacious people, most kind hearted people you will ever meet.

Please read the following, to learn about her condition.

Please click on the link and make a contribution.  Whatever you can do, will be much appreciated, be it $5.15 or $905.

Please think about how much you would appreciate people stepping up if it was you or someone close to you.

Please pass this on.  Let's make this baby go viral.

Lauren

P.S.  She can't really talk on the phone, but she does still read her email and can slowly peck some things out on her iPad.  I'm sure she'd love to hear any Who stories you might like to share.
Erica Berg <whobabe1 at aol.com>

With a smile that enters a room before her brilliantly red, curly hair and a personality that could motivate a mountain to relocate, Erica Berg has spent her life touching the hearts of many people and continues to do so.  She was a talented dancer which culminated with a performance in the 1984 Olympics, was featured on the cover on Shape Magazine, and challenged many people as a personal trainer and exercise instructor amongst other things.  In 2010 she married the love of her life, Ryan, and in 2011 was unexpectedly diagnosed with a rare aggressive form of Parkinson's known as MSA-Multiple System Atrophy.  To top it off, in October 2014, Erica was diagnosed with a non-spreadable form of breast cancer.  Her doctors got together to discuss treatment for the breast cancer and decided to leave it in and monitor it since the treatment would worsen her MSA condition.  As her body fights off the breast cancer and deals with the MSA, her condition has since declined.

For those who are unfamiliar with this disease, Multiple system atrophy (MSA) is a progressive neurodegenerative disorder characterized by symptoms of autonomic nervous system failure such as fainting spells and bladder control problems, combined with motor control symptoms such as tremor, rigidity, and loss of muscle coordination. MSA affects both men and women primarily in their 50s, however, Erica was diagnosed around 40.  Although what causes MSA is unknown, the disorder's symptoms reflect the loss of nerve cells in several different areas in the brain and spinal cord that control the autonomic nervous system and coordinate muscle movements. The loss of nerve cells may be due to the buildup of a protein called alpha-synuclein in the cells that support nerve cells in the brain.

There is no cure for MSA. Currently, there are no treatments to delay the progress of neurodegeneration in the brain. But there are treatments available to help people cope with some of the more disabling symptoms of MSA. In some individuals including Erica, levodopa may improve motor function, but the benefit may not continue as the disease progresses.

Erica is now in the rapidly progressing stage of this disease and along with that comes medical and care expenses which continue to compound.  As everyone around her does what they can to help and support both her and Ryan, the needs have become greater which require professional assistance.  This campaign is to help assist in alleviating the financial burden the family is struggling to deal with.  No amount is too small and any and all donations are appreciated beyond words.

From Lauren:
1) While she's long past driving, it was comforting to me to find the Who Babe-mobile in the driveway when I went to visit her in December!
2) A beaming Who Babe backstage after Roger's show at Costa Mesa in August of 2013.  I'm happy to report that Roger was immediately responsive to my request to see her, and he was kind and gracious.  (Diane/Corkface, Stefani, Roger, Erica/Babe, Lauren)  And thanks to H for taking the photo.