VT on Who Tour Article

Nakedeye10 at Aol.Com Nakedeye10 at Aol.Com
Fri May 23 18:06:16 UTC 2014

Nifty article talking about The Who and VT.

Lauren

http://swtimes.com/features/entertainment/opening-band-wowed-who
By Scott Smith
Times Record • ssmith at swtimes.com
Thanks to a new Los Angeles-based band, The Who’s Pete Townshend will forever view opening bands in a different, more positive light.

Known for mixing rock and blues with old-school soul and R&B, Vintage Trouble acted as the warm-up band for The Who’s “Quadrophenia & More Tour” in 2012-13. When hired as that tour’s opening slot, Vintage Trouble was granted the usual opening-band access — the nightly use of 60 percent of The Who’s sound and light equipment, but not any of The Who’s three large video screens, said Nalle Colt.

“Touring with The Who was great; I mean, it’s The Who,” Colt said during a recent telephone interview. “It was definitely stunning to be playing on stage and look over, and there on the side of the stage watching and listening are Pete Townshend and Roger Daltrey.

“To get to see Pete play guitar every night, he just got to me — wow,” Colt added. “I even changed some of my guitar style. It was stunning.”

Colt and his Vintage Trouble colleagues Ty Taylor (vocals), Rick Barrio Dill (bass) and Richard Danielson (drums) apparently stunned The Who on the tour’s first date.

“When Vintage Trouble walked off the stage that first night, Pete Townshend came over and said to us, ‘You guys are (explicative) amazing. We want you to have all three of our video screens, all of our sound and all of our lights on this tour.’”

Vintage Trouble will join The Flaming Lips, The String Cheese Incident, STS9, Turnpike Troubadours, Infected Mushroom, Edward Sharpe and the Magnetic Zeros, Bassnectar and many others for the Wakarsua Music & Camping Festival, which will be held June 5-8 at Mulberry Lodging & Events, 23978 Arkansas 23, north of Ozark. Vintage Trouble will play at 6:45 p.m. June 5.

When asked about Vintage Trouble’s stage clothing, which mixes 1950s and 1960s fashions with Old West-style clothing, Colt laughed.

“All four of us had been in bands before, trying to write hit songs, but it all felt fake before Vintage Trouble,” he said. “We just wanted to drop that fakeness and play the music we love.

“We love rhythm and blues, and there’s gospel,” Colt added. “And for me, being on stage is kind of like being in church. It’s a respectful thing. We looked at Ike and Tina Turner, and people like Muddy Waters always had great suits. We wanted people to know that we are being respectful of them when we go to the stage.”

Colt laughed.

“I’ve just always loved a three-piece suit,” he said before laughing again. “But now we are paying the price with the band’s dry-cleaning bill.”

- See more at: http://swtimes.com/features/entertainment/opening-band-wowed-who#sthash.rf4PxB6H.dpuf