What Happened to Colin Dawson?

nakedeye10 at aol.com nakedeye10 at aol.com
Tue Jun 11 20:02:36 UTC 2013

I've always wondered.  Especially having met Doug.

Lauren

http://www.thisiskent.co.uk/Queen-honours-fun-park-king/story-12012882-detail/story.html#axzz2VvZvWnD5

KING of the roller-coasters Colin Dawson has been awarded an OBE in the Queen's birthday honours list for services to tourism.
The father-of-two from Westbere, Canterbury, is retiring as chief executive of the fun-park trade body Balppa – the British Association of Leisure Parks, Piers and Attractions – after nine years when he turns 67 at the end of July.
Before his current role he was boss of Dreamland fun park in Margate and the Rotunda fun park in Folkestone.
Mr Dawson, who is in Italy for Balppa's summer conference, said: "My nomination came as a compete shock and totally out of the blue.
"It left me speechless which is very rare for me."
Mr Dawson received the letter telling him he had been nominated in May, but he was sworn to secrecy.
He added: "It turned out my wife Jeanette had been working behind the scenes giving information about me to the Balppa members who had nominated me."
One of the first to congratulate him was Who singer Roger Daltrey, who sent a text saying: "Welcome to the Order."
Daltrey has a CBE. The pair grew up in Acton, West London, and for a time were in the same band called The Detours with John Entwistle on bass and Pete Townshend on rhythm guitar.
Mr Dawson, who was the band's singer, said: "The guys were determined to go professional but I had a decent job with a company car selling bacon and decided to quit.
"Roger had been on lead guitar and took over the singing. He seems to have done OK!"
Mr Dawson went on to become managing director of Thorpe Park and was pictured on the log flume with the late Princess Diana and the two princes Harry and William in 1992.
He said: "Diana sent me a copy of the framed photo signed by her and the boys. She always found time for people."
He worked at Dreamland's 16-acre park with Jimmy Godden for four years from 1995 overseeing a £5 million face-lift which included renovating the historic Scenic Railway and introducing more attractions.
At Balppa he has been leading a campaign to get Britain to ditch Greenwich Mean Time and to keep its clocks forward an hour (two hours in the summer) to allow attractions to stay open later in daylight.
In November he was given an international award for outstanding services to the industry at a convention in Las Vegas.
He said: "It has been a pretty spectacular 12 months."
Both his boys, Adam, 24, and Cameron, 18, went to St Edmund's School in Canterbury.

Read more: http://www.thisiskent.co.uk/Queen-honours-fun-park-king/story-12012882-detail/story.html#ixzz2VwKSzYIf
Follow us: @thisiskent on Twitter