Oakland 10/25/82 video JEMS

Bruce Kawakami bkawak at charter.net
Fri Jan 18 04:57:36 UTC 2013

http://www.dimeadozen.org/torrents-details.php?id=436078

THE WHO
Oakland Coliseum Arena (AKA Alameda County Coliseum Arena)
Oakland, California
October 25, 1982
Audience Shot
NTSC TWO-DVD set
30th Anniversary JEMS Edition

DVD 1
xx:xx:xx My Generation (missing)
xx:xx:xx I Can't Explain (missing)
00:00:00 Dangerous
00:03:46 Sister Disco
00:09:29 Quiet One
00:14:35 It's Hard
00:19:39 Eminence Front
00:25:36 Behind Blue Eyes
00:29:25 Baba O'Reilly
00:35:04 Tattoo
00:38:53 Drowned
00:48:58 Man Is A Man
00:53:18 Cry If You Want

DVD 2
00:00:00 Who Are You? [cuts in]
00:06:25 Pinball Wizard
00:09:20 See Me Feel Me
00:13:59 Substitute
00:17:03 5:15
00:24:08 Love Reign O'er Me
00:29:16 Long Live Rock
00:34:03 Won't Get Fooled Again
00:44:11 encore break
00:46:31 Athena
00:50:55 Young Man Blues
00:57:01 Twist and Shout
01:00:23 Naked Eye
01:07:24 Summertime Blues
01:11:31 Goodbye
01:13:20 end

Roger Daltrey - harmonica, guitar, vocals
John Entwistle - vocals, bass
Kenney Jones - drums
Pete Townshend - vocals, guitar
Tim Gorman - piano, keyboards, backing vocals
--------------------------
Original Video Lineage
SOURCE: Panasonic(?) portable VHS camera and recorder
TRANSFER: JVC HR-S9911U > Canopus ADVC-300 > IEEE 1394 > Adobe Premiere
Pro CS5
GENERATION: VHS(1) [NTSC] > AVI [DV25]
LENGTH: 118:48
RECORDED BY: unnamed in association with JEMS
VIDEO TRANSFER BY: Mike Ziegler

Video Transfer Attributes
CODEC: MPEG-2
BITRATE: 9000 kbps
RESOLUTION: 720x480
FRAME RATE: NTSC (29.97 fps)
ASPECT RATIO: 4:3

Original Audio Lineage
Nakamichi CM300 microphones > SONY TC-D5M (Dolby B) (TDK MA90) >
Nakamichi Dragon (Dolby B decoded) > A/D Apogee Mini Me (Firewire)
(transferred @ 44.1/16) > Peak (editing) > xACT (FLAC, meta tagging).

2013 DVD EDITION
.AVI video file losslessly transcoded to .dv file with VisualHub. The
audio sources were synched in Pro Tools with slight speed correction.

Final Cut Pro (minor "nip and tuck" edits, filter to replace bottom of
screen "head switch jitter" with black and chaptering) > Compressor >
DVD Studio Pro (menu and authoring) > VIDEO_TS file set.

DVD Video Attributes
NTSC 720x480, VBR 7.7 Mbps peak, 6.2 Mbps average data rate, 2-pass.

DVD Audio Attributes
Choice of: AC3/Dolby Digital 2/0 (L,R), 48 kHz sample rate, 256 kbps
data rate or Linear PCM (2 channel 44.1 kHz 16 bit).

OAKLAND NOTES
This is the delayed release of the third and final title in JEMS' 30th
Anniversary series, now featuring upgraded audio from NH's master
audience tapes synched to the video source and authored for DVD by
grner1. Thank you both so much for improving this final JEMS DVD from
the 1982 tour. Grner1 calls it "a well-shot-for-the-era,
first-generation audience video with better-sounding cassette master
audio substituted for the VHS audio. The first 2 songs are missing and
there's a bit where the camera is blocked by people standing in the way,
but mostly it's all there and enjoyable throughout." We hope you agree.
Screenshots provided.

BK for JEMS

Of all the recordings in the JEMS archive, this is my personal holy
grail: an uncirculated video of one of my favorite Who shows. Some years
back, I mentioned how cool it would be to clean up the VHS source tapes
and get them digitally transferred to share with Who fans near and far.
Here's the result and it's a keeper. The first two songs ("My
Generation" and "I Can't Explain") weren't captured, but the rest of the
show, from "Dangerous" to "Summertime Blues," appears in surprisingly
good quality: most of the time the picture is steady and only in a few
instances does the viewer experience a "down-in-front" moment. The bonus
here is the picture stays with the action and that's with Pete
Townshend. Sure, we see the rest of the band (mostly Roger Daltrey;
wider shots show John and Kenney, too) but if it's the T-Cam you seek,
look no further.

Such camera framing is particularly fortunate on this night, as
Townshend graced the Bay Area with a memorable performance, one that
fanzine Who's News ranked as the best of the 40 shows on the tour (well,
tied with the 10/13 Shea Stadium concert, but I'm giving the nod here to
Oakland). Townshend is fired up and completely engaged in his
performance. You'll see terrific versions of "Drowned" and "Naked Eye,"
but songs from It's Hard, the LP the Who had released the previous
month, earn their place, too. Six tracks make the set here, including a
searing "Cry if You Want." "A Man is a Man" and the rare "Athena" (the
single from the album) are also performed, both for the last time.

There is no shortage of video from the 1982 tour: The band did press in
Washington and Los Angeles, shot a live video for "Eminence Front," and
sat for an MTV special. The last show, December 17 in Toronto, was
simulcast and released on home video. There's fine pro-shot footage of
the show in Seattle (10/20) and mash-ups of the two nights at Shea
(10/12-13). Even the band's official website got in on the action
posting several songs from the Dallas '82 concert a several months ago.
And of course JEMS has circulated audience-shot video from Boulder and
Seattle.

What makes Oakland special? For one, it was the longest show of the
tour, held indoors within the relatively cozy confines of the Oakland
Coliseum Arena on what was otherwise a predominantly stadium tour. The
band had played two days earlier (10/23) at the Coliseum, the open-air
stadium next door. That was a typical Saturday afternoon,
Day-on-the-Green event, and it was a fine show (though Who's News noted
that it was hard to really get behind a set where Roger Daltrey sat out
part of "See Me, Feel Me" on the drum riser). Oakland outdoors had a
tick-the-box vibe, where the masses--drawn to the ballpark to see the
mighty Who one last time (or so they bought) on their Farewell
Tour--came, saw and left. Regardless, the Who put on a good show,
representative of the generally solid performances 1982 brought, but not
outstanding.

The indoor 10/25 show on the other hand felt like a gift from the band
to long-time fans in the Bay Area (possibly at the behest of promoter
Bill Graham). It was a stunning show on a host of levels. Townshend
danced and leapt his way through the set and extended many of the songs.
His guitar playing was excellent, and yes, Pete does dispatch with a
guitar late in the show--it's interesting to see how that comes about
and how it fit seamlessly into the performance.

JEMS was present at all 40 shows on the 1982 tour (see below), and, as
noted above, audience video exists in a couple other instances. There is
audio of nearly every show, too, and someday we might get to those
tapes. But for now, it's good to mark the just-past 30th anniversary of
the 1982 tour with this, the best show, best audience video and now
upgraded with NH's excellent audio. Even by 2013 standards, the DVDs are
an impressive document of a superb Who show.

Thanks to all who made it happen.

Slipkid68 for JEMS
-----------------

30TH ANNIVERSARY NOTES
Back in 1982, The Who embarked on their first "Farewell Tour." It was
originally THE "Farewell Tour," but once they got going, were playing
well and having a good time, they left the door open to more touring
down the road. At one point Pete was even talking of another concept
album to follow It's Hard. In due time, Kenney left and the Who didn't
formally restart again until 1989 and the resurrection of Tommy.

When the '82 tour was announced, I was "under" employed, so I decided to
take in the entire tour, attend every single show, which I did, minus
the two warm-up shows in England. I put 10,000 miles on my Ford Fairmont
during the course of the tour, and I had many guests join for a run of
shows, which helped with traveling expenses. One such fellow who tagged
along on the western swing of the tour had a portable video recorder set
up, which we packed and brought along. We only broke it out for three
shows: Folsom Field in Boulder, Colorado on October 17, 1982, The
Kingdome in Seattle on October 20 and the second Oakland show on October
25.

The Boulder show ("rain, snow or shine" it said on the ticket) and the
Seattle show (which also circulates as a pro-shot video) were both solid
stadium performances. The Oakland show (in the Arena following a Stadium
show across the parking lot two days earlier) was one of the best shows
of the tour.

All three had set list variations which made this tour fairly unique for
The Who but Oakland was the longest show, with a little more spark than
much of the rest on the tour (the second night at Shea Stadium was the
only other set to match it). Plus, Pete smashed a guitar during "Won't
Get Fooled Again." (As a side note, it wasn't a big, end-of-the-show
smashing, more of a pissed-off about something, quick take-down in the
middle of the song. He quickly got a new guitar and carried on.)

We walked into the shows with a camera, a tripod, a portable VHS
recorder, blank VHS tapes and batteries, as well as JEMS' usual cassette
audio recording set-up, all of which probably weighed a collective 25+
pounds and took up several cubic feet of space. By contrast, I just
purchased a new recorder (the Olympus LS-7) which is so small it can fit
into a shirt pocket with room to spare! Times have changed. I think back
to those days and I wonder how we were able to get these recordings done.

A note on these tapes: In a digital age, these recordings, which I
remember as being nice quality, pale in comparison to what we can do
now. These are 1st generation copies off the video masters (which for
all intents and purposes don't exist any more and are lost to history).
Boulder and Seattle have the camera audio; Oakland has better audio
synced from a second source.

Look at the screen grabs to get a sense of the quality. If you can put
yourself back into a 1982 mindset, all three are highly watchable,
mostly steady and generally free of obstructions. And if you were in
attendance, they are miraculous souvenirs. Boulder and Seattle, being
stadiums, are more distant but the shot is still only as wide as the
band is on stage. Not bad at all. And Oakland, as it was an arena show
indoors, is even closer and better.

Tapeboy for JEMS