The Who in Louisville

sroundtable at aol.com sroundtable at aol.com
Tue Feb 26 23:48:52 UTC 2013

My one Who show this tour was in Louisville (I live in Baton Rouge, LA).  I had a lower bowl seat close to the stage on Pino's side, but waited outside the box office in case some 1st 10 rows seats came open right before the show.  Patience paid off-3rd row on Pino's side. The band was UNREAL. Hearing the entire Quad was nirvana for me, though after the show I heard some dumb chicks complaining about a lack of hits: "I didn't recognize a single song the first hour of the show!" Well, then, you shouldn't have come.  The ticket said: "Quadrophenia and more..."  What about just listening to the quality of the music and enjoying it?  I mean, Baba O, WGFA and WAY were played for the first time once, and people ate it up because the music was great.  Roger sounded better than he has since 1989, in my opinion.  He let out a mid-1970s scream near the end of LROM, and his WGFA scream was absolutely vintage.  No squealing at all-just primal power.  He sounded very clear and strong on just about everything, so the surgery must have really done the trick.  Noticed The Real Me was played in a different key to accomodate Roger, and it worked beautifully.  LOVED Simon's lead vocals on Dirty Jobs, as well as his guitar solo during the interlude preceding the harmonica in BOR.  Nice change from the keyboard.  I must admit, I am WAY over Tea and Theatre.  It's nice, but just doesn't hold up over time.  Need to retire it as a closer.  It's played out.

Mc