Deluxe Quad in Oct.

Bruce Kawakami bkawak at charter.net
Thu Jun 2 04:47:47 UTC 2011

http://www.thewho.com/index.php?module=blog&blog_item_id=491

    Pete's Blog

1st June, 2011
WHAT I'M DOING EVERYDAY

I am shut away in my home studio at the moment working to restore the
demos of Quadrophenia. Bob Pridden is doing surround-sound mixes of
selected tracks. Jon Astley is remastering the original vinyl mix, and
evaluating his own 1996 remix (the one where you can properly hear
Roger's astonishing vocals). I am sitting in a pile of notes, desk
diaries, photos (I took a lot of my own between 1971-1973 when
Quadrophenia emerged), original lyrics and writing liner notes.

I am really enjoying this work. Bob's mixes are mind-blowing. My demos
are among the best I've ever done, and include some real quirky tracks
that didn't make it onto the final album. I still find studio work
strange -- I have to have the speakers very low in volume, not what I'm
used to. This package, due in October if all goes well, is another Live
at Leeds and Hull -- or even another Lifehouse Chronicles -- in the
making. You are going to love it. I hope so, because I am missing this
summer sunshine to get it completed on time.

In my recent interview with my friend Simon Garfield for INTELLIGENT
LIFE <http://econ.st/jxSD5Q>, I professed some difficulty in my
interaction with fans as I grow older. What is so wonderful about
working on Quadrophenia is that back in 1970, all the way through to the
recording in 1973, the primary challenge for me was to tell the story of
the Who's fans and at the same time address the wayward creative needs
of the band as individuals and artists. The Who, and Jimmy as a kind of
model for one or all of our fans, really had developed a powerful
symbiosis that deserved a project like Quadrophenia both to honour the
mechanism and address why it started to fail almost a soon as it had begun

So I am enjoying working with the music, but I'm enjoying writing about
it too.