The Who, Jeff Beck, Richard Ashcroft unite at London charity gig

Martin Bailey mobailey at ntlworld.com
Fri Jan 14 15:37:10 UTC 2011

Oh, this is a much better review:

http://www.nme.com/news/the-who/54562

There's a video of Join Together too.
Video is from far back above the crowd, but very sharp.
Performance seems a bit subdued.

Roger played solo to begin with.  Covers of his familiar Freedom Ride and
Gimme A Stone.

This is bigger news: Jeff Beck played with the Who's backing band -
presumably Pino, Zak, Bundrick?
They played the Jeff Beck / Entwistle / Moon classic: Becks Bolero!
As well as my favourite Beatles song: A Day in the Life.

Later Jeff Beck played with Daltrey + backing band: I'm A Man.
So that's the mysterious "Blues Interlude".

Its good to see them shake things up a bit.

-MB

The Who, Jeff Beck, Richard Ashcroft unite at London charity gig

Legends unite on stage at the HMV Hammersmith Apollo

    * January 14, 2011 | 0 Comments

The Who, Blondie's Debbie Harry, Jeff Beck, Richard Ashcroft and Bryan Adams
joined forces last night (January 13) for a Killing Cancer charity gig at
London's HMV Hammersmith Apollo.

The star-studded show was introduced by co-organiser Harvey Goldsmith, who
explained how proceeds from ticket sales (priced at £120) would fund
research into Photodynamic Therapy (PDT), a pioneering therapy that destroys
cancer cells with a single treatment.

The Verve man Ashcroft then kicked off the gig, playing 'Sonnet', 'Space And
Time', 'Lucky Man' and' History'.

The Who's Roger Daltrey then took to the stage with a stripped back folk
band, covering two songs – 'Freedom Ride' and 'Gimme A Stone' – from
'Largo': an obscure song cycle by members of the The Hooters, based on
Dvorak's 'New World' symphony, a record which the singer encouraged the
audience to track down.

Bryan Adams played a four-song solo acoustic set, including 'When You're
Gone', for which he was joined by a patient successfully treated by PDT to
duet with him.

Following the interval the show restarted with a set of instrumentals from
Jeff Beck (Beck's Bolero', 'Hammerhead'), backed by the touring members of
The Who minus Pete Townshend and Daltrey.

Concluding with a version of The Beatles' 'A Day In The Life', Beck then
remained on lead guitar as Debbie Harry walked onstage to the opening bars
of 'Heart Of Glass'. The Blondie singer continued with 'Call Me' and 'One
Way Or Another' (the latter minus Beck on guitar).

The Who then played their set, which included 'Baba O'Riley', 'Who Are You'
and 'Won’t Get Fooled Again'. Beck came on to replace Townsend for a version
of Bo Diddley's 'I'm A Man' in tribute to, according to Daltrey, "all the
Chicago blues musicians who showed me the way".

Townshend then returned to the stage as well as Harry and Adams, bringing
the night to a close with a rousing version of The Who's 1972 single 'Join
Together'.

Watch fan footage of the performance by clicking below.