THE WHO - LIVE AT LEEDS - 40th Anniversary Super-Deluxe Collectors'Edition

Martin Bailey Martin.Bailey at netsoltech.com
Mon Oct 11 17:55:49 UTC 2010

Jim M said:

"So, I looked closer at the track listings and noticed that every track on the first disc of Leeds is exactly, to the second, the same length as the same song on Hull."

No, it can't be.  It's a mistake surely.

There's no way The Who can play My Generation, for example, two nights running, and both nights stop playing after exactly 15 minutes and 24 seconds.

It's not just the first disk: the two Tommy disks are exactly the same, too.

This is undoubtedly a mistake. Someone got too "Copy + Paste"-happy.

Jim M:  "I can see they would have needed to do that for the four tracks they were splicing together, presumably by speeding or slowing one of them."

I imagine it was even more complicated than that: slowing down some parts of the Leeds bass, and speeding up other parts of the same songs.
And adding extra gaps / less gaps, etc.
A horrible, thankless task.  I imagine it could sound a bit "odd" and "out of place" in some parts.
(Someone, on some Who forum, is bound to moan about it, in the same way that every remaster has been moaned at.)

-MB