FW: Get The Who to number 1 sent you a message on Facebook...

Martin Bailey Martin.Bailey at netsoltech.com
Wed May 19 12:14:58 UTC 2010

This guy is trying to get The Who to Number 1 again.

His campaign DID get a lot of interest last year, and lots of media attention.
It made me buy the Baba O'Riley MP3 that week, just to give it my support.

Although I knew there would never be enough supporters to get the song to number 1.
But I DID think we'd be able to get a Top 40 single.

But no - it didn't even make the Top 40.

It didn't even make the BBC's Top 40 Rock songs.
That was the same week that Queen released a greatest hits album, and downloads from that dominated the rock chart.

The biggest problem is: you may have hundreds of supporters on Facebook.
But you are still competing against thousands of music buyers who don't need Facebook to tell them what to buy.

And there was a huge interest in the Facebook campaign from fans in the US and rest of the world.
But, at the end of the day, only the small percentage of UK fans could actually buy the song, and influence the UK charts.

So, as for this year's campaign....

I think the idea is flawed, and doomed to another failure.

But, I'll still buy WGFA on 23rd August.  The date is in my calendar.  And I wish "good luck" to this campaign.  Again.

-MB