Black Widow's Eyes - very little Who - people are suffering!

Joe Lewinski lewinski at icanon.com
Mon Mar 29 20:47:58 UTC 2010

On CNN this morning they covered the suicide bombings in
Moscow.   They referred to the female bombers as "black widows."

First time I heard that out of a Who context.

Joe in Philly

PS.. Here's a link to another news source, The Guardian.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2010/mar/29/black-widows-women-moscow-bombings

  Moscow bombings blamed on Chechnya's Black Widows

Suicide squads are made up of women who have lost male relatives,
usually husbands or brothers, to the conflict

The two women suspected of blowing themselves up on the Moscow metro are
believed to belong to a legion of women recruited by separatist Chechen
rebels, known in Russia <http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/russia> as the
Black Widows.

The ominous nickname highlights the loss of male relatives -- usually
husbands or brothers -- that push these women to commit the suicide
bombings and mass hostage-takings that were a hallmark of Chechnya
<http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/chechnya>'s earlier separatist campaigns.

They gained notoriety when images of Chechen women dressed in black
chadors, their waists and chests adorned with bombs, flooded Russian
television screens during the three-day Moscow theatre hostage crisis in
October 2002 that left 129 people dead.

The siege marked the start of a two-year campaign that saw the Russian
capital attacked repeatedly. The strategy proved to be a powerful
psychological weapon, as well as tactically successful, since women
better managed to avoid the scrutiny of the Russian police.

The Black Widows were first organised by Shamil Basayev, but he was
killed in July 2006. Russian authorities claim a successful
assassination; rebels say he died accidentally while handling a bomb.
This February, his successor Doku Umarov told rebel website
kavkazcenter.com <www.kavkazcenter.com> that attacks, once limited to
the Caucasus, would soon spread throughout Russia.

"As far as possible we will try to avoid civilian targets, but for me
there are no civilians in Russia," Umarov told Prague Watchdog, a news
site devoted to Chechnya, during a rare interview in July. "Why? Because
a genocide of our people is being carried out with their tacit consent."

Umarov, who professes to fighting a global jihad, combines separatist
Islamist sentiment with hatred of the regime of Ramzan Kadyrov,
Chechnya's president, who is accused of human rights abuses.

If the Chechen connection is proven, Monday's attack will prove Umarov
has successfully taken on the mantle of the rebel -- and Black Widow --
leadership.