Jim marshall RIP

JOELTLE515 at aol.com JOELTLE515 at aol.com
Fri Mar 26 05:20:35 UTC 2010

Rock photographer, Jim Marshall, passed away reportedly in his sleep
yesterday while on a promotional tour for "Match Points". Marshall  was 74.
Marshall photographed a number of rock icons, such as The Who, Jimi
Hendrix,  The Beatles, Janis Joplin, Bob Dylan, The Rolling Stones, and Johnny
Cash.
His images have appeared on over 500 album and CD covers, in newspapers,
magazines, and on posters.
Marshall worked both Woodstock and Altamont rock festivals in  1969, the
Rolling Stones' 1972 tour, and he was the only photographer allowed  backstage
at the Beatles' last live performance in 1966 at San Francisco's
Candlestick Park. He also joined Johnny Cash for Cash's landmark show at  Folsom
Prison in 1968.
Marshall's work was inspiring to many, John Carter Cash, son of the late
Johnny Cash, told The Times in an email today, "I have always loved the
photographs Jim Marshall took of my father, and more than any other, the photos
of family and friends. Of course, the most famous photo Jim took of my
father was the unforgettable 'shoot the bird shot'. "He magically  captured my
father's energy and attitude at that time." Cash noted. "This photo  is a
wonderful example of my father's edginess and aggressive nature. But my
father was so much more. The photos Jim took that mean the most are those which
capture intimate, gentle heart and spirit -- both of my father and my
mother. It  is these I love the most."
Marshall will truly be missed, but his work will live on for generations to
 come.
http://www.marshallphoto.com