new townshend interview at premierguitar.com

JOELTLE515 at aol.com JOELTLE515 at aol.com
Thu Mar 18 22:46:43 UTC 2010

In the summer of 1965, this writer was an aspiring teenage drummer with
more than a passing interest in the guitar. Tuning into the ABC television
rock  show Shindig! one evening, I witnessed The Who’s American debut. They
lip-synched their first UK hit, “I Can’t Explain,” as I sat transfixed by
drummer Keith Moon, singer Roger Daltrey, bassist John Entwistle and
particularly the tall, skinny guitarist with the prominent nose and the  windmilling
arm. His name, I later learned, was Pete. I have been hooked on The  Who
ever since.

I had belatedly developed a liking for The Beatles’  music, as well as that
of The Rolling Stones, The Yardbirds, Them, and The  Kinks, but The Who was
different. Their music, their attitude and their  take-no-prisoners stance
was totally aggressive, and just a bit out of control,  and it spoke to my
teenage angst and struck a chord that rings true to this day.  I even managed
to get my hands on a big piece of the mid-’60s Tele (see cover)  Townshend
demolished at Convention Hall in Asbury Park, NJ, on August 12, 1967.  Jim
McGlynn, who played guitar in a local band and wrote for the Newark Evening
News, interviewed Townshend after the show. I guess Townshend was feeling
pretty  magnanimous that night because he gave it to him. A few months later,
I bought  it from Jim for $10! It’s still hanging on my wall today.
Forty-five years  later, I’m still saying, “I told you so,” to my oldest friend (to
whom I  proclaimed The Who would become a rock music institution). He and I
have seen  them in concert many times over the years. Through all the
triumphs and  failures, the public squabbles, the aggression and violent
equipment  destruction, the rock-star excess, the untimely passing of Moon and
Entwistle,  and the unspeakable tragedy of 11 fans trampled to death in
Cincinnati, it has  always been the music of Pete Townshend and The Who that spoke
truest to  me.

Townshend has always been The Who’s chief spokesman. His interviews  are
the stuff of legend: intelligent, thoughtful, interesting, eloquent,
insightful, sometimes brutally honest—occasionally playful, self-mocking and
petulant—but always fascinating. Pete prefers doing interviews by email these
days, which ruled out any spontaneous questions or conversation that might have
 occurred, but I trust the reader will understand. During the course of
this  exchange, Pete communicated at length about his preference for the
Stratocaster  and Fender amps, his obvious affection for acoustic and vintage
instruments from  his collection, hearing loss, and more. You may find some of
his remarks  concerning The Who, guitar smashing, and Marshall amps a bit
surprising. Here  then, is the Pete Townshend Premier Guitar interview. It was
a long  time in the making. I hope you agree the results were worth the
wait.

For years now, your choice of electric guitar onstage has  been the Eric
Clapton Stratocaster. Why that guitar in particular after years  using Gibson
SGs and Les Pauls, as well as other models?

A bit  of history: The Who worked fairly solidly from 1963 through to 1982,
when I felt  I had had enough. Over the entirety of those years, I had
regarded my stage  guitars as tools rather than instruments. I never tried to
play eloquently, I  didn’t practice much and I didn’t work very hard on my
sound. The Who was a band  devoted to a single function, which was to reflect
our audience, and for a lot  of the time we had no idea how we did that. I
felt it had more to do with my  songs and the image of the band than our
musicianship. I would never have been a  Who fan.

I started in late 1962 with a simple, single-pickup Harmony  electric; I
think it was called a Stratotone. When Roger quit his job as lead  guitarist
and became the singer, he passed me his Epiphone with P-90s. To be  honest,
although I realize now it was a fine little guitar, I wasn’t happy until  I
got my first Rickenbacker in 1964. I soon got myself a top model 12-string
Rick, too. It’s interesting to think that the Marshall sound I helped Jim and
 his guys develop was built around the very low output and thin, surfy
sound of  the Rick. The sound I wanted was Steve Cropper, but very loud. The
early  Marshall with a Rick gave me that. The semi-acoustic body and a speaker
stack  feeding right into the guitar was what allowed me to refine tuneful
feedback.

Before the band was making money—we are still in early 1964 in  this story—
I broke my 6-string Rick on stage engaging in art-school-inspired
performance art. Roger said he could have fixed that first broken Rick, but the
word spread so fast about how crazy I was that it wasn’t long before the
12-string and about four other Ricks followed before I started to look for
something stronger. During that time the Who were touring Britain and Europe,
and guitars were expensive. My Rick 12, for example, cost £385, that’s
equivalent to £5,925 today. With the dollar at 2.4 back at that time, my Rick 12
cost me $14,220. It makes me a little angry when people question my artistic
 integrity in what I decided to do on stage. I paid the price.

I tried  everything that I could pick up at less than the price of a house.
There are  pictures of me with a Gibson 335, Strats, Teles, Jazzmasters and
Danelectros.  What I was looking for was not a good-sounding guitar but one
that was strong.  And so I used quite a lot of Fenders. The necks never
broke when I was doing my  destruction routine, and gluing the bodies back
together and rewiring helped me  one step closer to becoming a luthier.

When Jimi was in London, it just  so happened I was using a Strat, and he
modeled his entire amplifier rig, apart  from a couple of special fuzz boxes,
according to my advice. So for a while our  sound was similar. But no one
could approach what he did with that rig, and I  decided to concentrate much
more on chordal work, trying to give a beat backbone  to Moon’s flailing and
undisciplined drumming. Pretty soon, by accident, I  discovered the Gibson
SG with P-90s, and because I was using a mix of Sound City  (later Hiwatt)
and Marshall amplifier stacks, I landed the Live at Leeds sound  that stayed
with me almost all the way on from there—at least onstage. Because  SGs are
fairly light, I broke quite a few of them over my hipbone, as well as in
our finale, so occasionally I used Strats for their sheer strength.

My  present guitar tech, Alan Rogan, came to me sometime in the very early ‘
70s I  think, and after a while I developed the Les Paul Special with a
middle  humbucker set for feedback. Those guitars were heavy. But by that time
my stage  work involved less jumping and a little more punk posing. I was
still using that  guitar on The Who’s last tour in 1982. Gibson did a
signature Pete Townshend  model Les Paul, which works well, though it’s still a
heavy guitar. The middle  pickup is meant to be set close to the strings to
allow instant feedback. It is  on a separate on-off switch to allow machine-gun
staccato effects. The other two  small humbuckers are wired in the
conventional Gibson manner but with a phase  switch. In the studio I could get almost
any sound I wanted with that  guitar.

In 1989 when I briefly gathered the band to do a 25th anniversary tour, I
played mainly acoustic onstage. But here and there I picked up a Strat to
rock  out. By that time I had spent nearly seven years off the road. I had
practiced a  lot, maybe more piano than guitar, but I had a terrific studio and
really tried  to learn to play better. The Gibson SG still has a place in
my arsenal of  sounds, but when I found the Eric Clapton Strat I got the best
of two worlds: a  clean Fender sound when I wanted it, and with the builtin
power booster, the  ability to make the sound dirty for slab-drive chord
work. I have often tried  SGs again, and I still love them and use them for
recording, but I love the  Strat-style whammy bar.

I built my first home studio in 1963, and again,  somehow this relegated
the guitar as a musical instrument to a different role. I  just wanted
something that suited the song I might be working on. I kept a basic  collection of
guitars for my home studio right through until Who’s Next, when I  made my
first spending spree at Manny’s in 1971. On that visit, I bought my  first
Martin D-45, a Gibson mandolin, a couple of Martin ukes and a tiple, a  pedal
steel, a Guild Merle Travis, and a beautiful Guild 12-string. I have some
of these instruments still. Prior to that, for my home demos, I had a
Harmony  12-string (very basic, but it sounded great, you can hear it on the Tommy
 recording), a Danelectro bass, an old-school cello I sometimes used as
string  bass and whatever electric guitar I was carrying to and from gigs at
the  time.

>From 1971, everything changed. Alan Rogan helped me track down a  lot of
cool guitars. Joe Walsh gave me a Gretsch and a Fender Bassman combo with  an
Edwards pedal (to get the Neil Young sound). He also gave me a Flying V
(that  I am sad to say I sold to help buy my first big boat—he’s never quite
forgiven  me). I bought two or three D’Angelicos, and started to really
appreciate what a  fine guitar really was. The acoustic solo in the middle of “Who
Are You” is  played on my D’Angelico New Yorker (also sold to help buy a
boat!) and you can  hear that I am playing eloquently at last…

I met Pat Martino in 1993  while I was in New York working on the musical
Tommy. He was still fighting his  way back from his brain damage, and I don’t
think he was too impressed with me  as a guitar player. He was courteous,
but it was quite clear which of us was the  fan. I’m nuts about his work,
early and late, pre and post brain operations. But  he brought me his Paul Reed
Smith (which I felt was far too lightweight, by the  way) and it had a
built-in piezo pickup. This was the first [electric with a  built-in piezo] I’d
seen, and when I got home Alan tracked down a couple and we  started to
experiment.

What is useful to me onstage is that I get a  sizzling string sound from
the piezo, to give color and detail to the sustain  sound I use these days for
solos. There are some added benefits. One of my  techniques is banging the
bridge and back pickup with the palm and wrist, and I  do this quickly to
create a kind of thunderous explosive sound—like a heavy  machine gun. The
piezo plays a big part in this sound, because it relays the  sound of the body
of the guitar being thumped. Fishman has gone a long way to  make these
piezo systems extremely silky sounding.

To read the rest:

http://www.premierguitar.com/Magazine/Issue/2010/Apr/Pete_Townshend_On_Guita
r_Smashing_Regrets_Stylistic_Evolution_and_Becoming_a_Gear_Aficionado.aspx