LAL makes top 5 on "greatest live rock albums" list

Martin Bailey Martin.Bailey at netsoltech.com
Wed Mar 3 14:26:24 UTC 2010

(Talking about Planet Rock Polls:)

> I'm not surprised about that, but Summertime Blues might have had a shot.

That would have been my number-2 Who-related choice.

What struck me though (about this Top 100 Cover Rock Songs) is that there was no covers of Who songs at all.

        - Bob Dylan had "All Along the Watchtower" by Hendrix.
        - The Beatles had "With a Little Help from My Friends" sung by Joe Cocker
        - The Kinks had "You Really Got Me" by Van Halen.

All these versions (arguably) exceeded the originals.
But no covers of Who songs belonged on that list.

        - "Pinball Wizard" by Elton John?
        - "My Generation" by Oasis?
        - "Substitute" by Sex Pistols?

All good, but none really deserve a place in "100 best Rock Covers of all Time".

There are a number of good covers of Who songs, but no really GREAT standout Who covers.

We've NEVER had a cover version of a Who song which had exceeded the original.

This is what the world needs right now: a really, really, good Who cover.

NB: here's a link with LOADS of songs covered by The Who, and covers of Who songs:
http://www.coversproject.com/artist/who/

> > (The winner was All Along the Watchtower by Hendrix.  Naturally.)

> (links to Battlestar Galactica)

I loved that episode where all the humanoid cylons started saying lines to that song.
"There must be some kinda way out of here..."
"There are many here among us..."
Best sequence in the whole series (which I loved.)

It took me a while to realise what the song was.

And it took another few episodes before I realised HOW a bunch of aliens knew all the words to a Bob Dylan song...

Also:
"Outside in the Cold Distance ... Two Riders were Approaching"

Was also one of the best sequences in the Watchmen comic and film.

> (link to U2s version)

I've also got versions by Neil Young (live - very good), and Paul Weller (surprisingly lame.)
And a version by The Fratellis (which rocked).

This month's Planet Rock poll is "MOST CLASSIC CLASSIC ROCK SONG", which kind of suggests that they've run out of ideas:
"Simply put, we want to know which one song you believe encapsulates classic rock and everything that you love about it."
http://www.planetrock.com/Article.asp?id=1716147&spid=35869

My vote: My Generation.

-MB