I'm in a Rock 'n' Roll Band!

Martin Bailey Martin.Bailey at netsoltech.com
Tue Jun 8 12:25:11 UTC 2010

"I'm in a Rock 'n' Roll Band!" was a 6 part BBC series which has just ended in the UK.

Each show debated who was the best rock performer in each category.
The shows were broken up into:

1. The Singer
2. The Guitarist
3. The Drummer
4. The Other One (eg: everyone from JAE to Bez from Happy Mondays, lol)
5. The Band (ie: how they all worked together)

Each show included around 5 minutes of excellent Who footage.
Eg: recreating driving a car into a swimming pool; cartoon versions of the Who; loads of clips (mostly from Kids are Alright, with some from IOW).
Several Who songs eg: "Who Are You" over the end credits; they also actually played the "The Ox", which is unheard of on TV.
Also new interviews with Roger and many more famous musicians.

The audience had a chance to vote in each category.
The series ended with a live 6th program, which showed the result of the poll.

Even with my unbiased hat on, it's obvious that The Who were strong contenders in every category.
But, unsurprisingly for UK TV, there were no Who winners.  The end results were as follows:

	- Singer - Freddie Mercury
	- Guitarist - Jimi Hendrix
	- Drummer - John Bonham
	- Bassists - Flea
	- Best Band - Led Zeppelin

The whole series is thoroughly recommended.
You may want to look out for this on BBC America, or it's still on the BBC iPlayer if you're in the UK.

There's also a microsite for the show at:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio2/rocknrollband/

-MB