Pete's Hearing and the future

jimthewhofan at aol.com jimthewhofan at aol.com
Sat Feb 20 02:08:19 UTC 2010

This is the story from an AOL headline, today.

Could Super Bowl XLIV have been part of the Who's last hurrah? Guitarist Pete Townshend is suggesting the end of the legendary rock band's 46-year run may be in sight because of his ongoing tinnitus troubles.

"If my hearing is going to be a problem, we're not delaying shows.We're finished. I can't really see any way around the issue," Townshendtold Rolling Stonein advance of plans to test a new in-ear monitoring system during thegroup's next gig, slated for London's Albert Hall on March 30. Thatshow, a benefit for the Teenage Cancer Trust, is the only eventcurrently on the Who's calendar for 2010.

The painful ringing and buzzing in Townshend's ears has come and gonethrough the years and is blamed on the excessive volume he has enduredduring thousands of gigs. At Neil Young'ssuggestion, Townshend consulted an audiologist, who recommended anin-ear monitor that could prevent further damage. Townshend has plansto try the product out during the March gig, when he and Who vocalist Roger Daltrey will play 'Quadrophenia' in its entirety with their touring band.

"It's a good test of Pete's hearing," Daltrey told the magazine. "We won't know until we try."