The Super Bowl

Stephen Fairbairn seeker at elkvalley.net
Mon Feb 15 02:18:53 UTC 2010

Steve here in Canada. ....

I have to agree with Jim when her says "John's abilities had not
noticeably declined. And he always seemed like the "forgotten" man in
the Who. For me, John's bass was far more important in the Who's
sound than Keith's drumming."  Plus, I do feel that Zak's 'sound' has
grown to fit the Who - as shown by the shows while John was still
with us. The 2002 tour showed the role that john was playing in the
band - and it showed how much the work of the guitarist depends on
the work of the bas player. That magic between them, John always
seeming to know what was coming....

As to the Superbowl show, well 12 minutes does not make a show - it
makes an ad for your musical catalogue. I'm sure the who sold some
music as a result of the SB performance. As to the performance, I am
obviously in the minority of the list (but in the majority of my
friends who saw it - including my musician friends) .... Roger did a
great job - I do agree that his voice was in very good form. As to
Pete's playing, just where did the style and interest go? As to his
outfit, I found it embarrassing, as did my two teen children (and a
number of my friends made fun of his 'image', or caricature of a
musician, on stage..... The stage itself was very cool.

Now as to the band touring next year (summer 2010?), based on what I
saw, will I see them again? Let's hope there is new music to make it
worthwhile 'cause if the current Pete playing and run of the mill
bass are what I'm going to pay premium dollars for...... Something
big was lost in 2002. It was still lost on the last tour, an it
hasn't been found or replaced yet.

Steve