lipsynching and noodling

Toby Elwin telwin at berklee.net
Sat Feb 13 17:36:24 UTC 2010

On 2/13/10 12:16 PM, "Jim M" <nakedi at comcast.net> wrote:

> From: "Toby Elwin" <telwin at berklee.net>
>>
>> I see clearly that "Won't Get Fooled Again" is where the wheels start
>> falling off the wagon, perhaps the show's entire lead vocals were double
>> tracked or blended.  There is no way this whole show was mimed or
>> lipsynched.  The lead vocals may have had trickery and perhaps Daltrey and
>> his famously "fickle" voice took the insurance policy against Miami
>> weather, but I don't particularly care, what borders the absurd is when
>> people who's music experience is watching and voting on American Idol
>> believe they are actually astute in expressing musical or live performance
>> integrity.   That this show gets dismissed to the scrap heap of a band
>> that mimed the event is patently inaccurate.
>>

> Toby, how ya doin'?  I'm pretty sure Jason's jibe was in good fun.  We're
> all friends here!
>
> Problem I have with this description is, I wasn't able to find 1 place where
> Roger's vocal differs from the mashup as I was able to do with Pete.  If
> anyone finds that difference, I'd love to hear it.
>
> Jim M (admitted American Idol fan)

Jim,

No ego bruised here, enjoy the thoughts.  Can you post (or repost) a link to the mashup?  If Roger Daltrey wracked his brain to "try" to memorize all the little nuances, blessed be his effort and it seems by the time "Won't Get Fooled" comes around he has forgotten his memorized deviances.  Also his voice has the haggard sound that always makes me think, "is he going to make that note?" why not prerecord a studio controlled good sounding voice if he wanted to lipsynch the whole sha bang?  Was the Mashup recorded live or live on sound stage?

Even his vocals on the Endless Wire album or "Real Good Looking Boy" shows a far better voice than live, which is really what makes live shows enjoyable - they are live - sorry American Idol fans, it is true things happen live and that is what The Who became billed as the greatest live band in the history of rock and roll - the imminent danger or uncontrollable outcome that stands to create magic.

Pete's bored and, unlike Elton John who changed the keys to his songs when his voice changed, Roger needs to do something that takes advantage of his vocal prowess and stop trying to deliver Baba O'Riley in the key of F.  This is a band that plays Who songs and does interesting versions as close to the power the originals had and I'll take it.  I don't want to hear a studio version of a song from 1969 or 1978 - give me the guts, its what jazz and blues live for.

Perhaps Daltrey's voice now is a full circle to the pre-Who R&B that was their staple - "Daddy Rolling Stone", "Motoring", "Leaving Here", "I'm a Man".

Toby