The Who Super Bowl Performance Studio Version

Jim M Nakedi at comcast.net
Fri Feb 12 16:43:10 UTC 2010

From: "Martin Bailey" <Martin.Bailey at netsoltech.com>

> Ah!  You may be right, but: I think there's a perfectly reasonable
> explanation for this.

I'm starting to wish The Who never agreed to do this show.  Look, we all
know what this band sounds like live.  Love it or hate it, the performance
reflects that.  If they were using recorded vocals (Roger, Pete's were
obviously not), there was no need.  Why record a vocal on Thursday to use on
Sunday?  It's not like he's miming the vocal from 1971 and it didn't make
him sound any different or "better" than he normally does.  Was someone
concerned about a big gaffe where he forgets the words, or blurts out "who
the fuck are you"?  Was this the only way to ensure the Whodley didn't get
botched?

If it turns out that is what happened (I'm not convinced, but the evidence
is mounting), could that be why Roger's so dissatisfied with the
performance?  Could he have agreed to do the show and then been unable to
back out when this was suggested?  Pete had to talk him into doing the show,
right?  Hopefully, that means Pete feels like he owes Roger one now!

Jim M