The Super Bowl

jimthewhofan at aol.com jimthewhofan at aol.com
Thu Feb 11 14:42:08 UTC 2010

>This band lost a lot when Entwistle died.<

 This was and remains the issue for with this band.

I could (and did) accept a Who without Keith Moon. Moon's lifestyle was devastating to his playing. Listen to every album from LIVE AT LEEDS onward and you can hear Moon play less and less well. For me, he's at his peak on WHO'S NEXT. But the decline is there. QUADROPHENIA is all big fills and cymbal wash. THE WHO BY NUMBERS...I could have played that. WHO ARE YOU...I play better than that. Furthermore, I'm one who believes the Who wouldn't have continued with Moon had he lived back in '78. I became a Who fan in '78 and I was able to accept them moving on after his death. Musically, Moon couldn't cut it anymore.

But the loss of Entwistle is not the same. John's abilities had not noticeably declined. And he always seemed like the "forgotten" man in the Who. For me, John's bass was far more important in the Who's sound than Keith's drumming.