The Super Bowl

jimthewhofan at aol.com jimthewhofan at aol.com
Wed Feb 10 19:28:40 UTC 2010

 Schrade, I think your points are well-taken. It was nice to see Daltrey/Townshend there, performing. But that's all it was. Nice. Nice spectacle where the pyrotechnics clearly were the emphasis, not the music. Of course, they were relegated to 12 minutes (knowingly; they took the gig knowing what it entailed and Datlrey's bitching after-the-fact is rather silly) and it's hard to pull off something "momentous" in 12 minutes. Especially for these guys who, historically, need to warm up to get into a gig.

>it was just the usual "shell of a band" I've been seeing since 2002.<

Other than our memories (recorded, printed, filmed), it's all there is left, isn't it?

>They were alright.<

Yep, and that's the best we can ever expect again.

And yeah, I sat and watched it and enjoyed it, because I think I had the appropriate level of expectation. Buddies and I were texting throughout the halftime and I always referred to them, rightly I think, as What's Left Of The Who.

But I was glad they did the gig and maybe it wouldn't be a "Who-ish" event at all if there weren't bitching afterward from somebody in the band.