The Super Bowl

Scott Schrade schrade at akrobiz.com
Wed Feb 10 19:59:15 UTC 2010

I was underwhelmed.  Again.  I was truly psyched for a momentous
12 minutes but it was just the usual "shell of a band" I've been seeing
since 2002.

Daltrey sounded poor to OK.  The people I was with kept saying,
"Uh oh." every time he sang a questionable note.  There were a lot
of "uh oh's".

The stage dwarfed the band.  No big surprise.  It's supposed to be
a big spectacle.  (Great job by the Starcke Bros. & the rest of the
crew, BTW.)  The stage & lasers & fireworks were the show, IMO.
Not the band or the music.

There was awkward silence after the band finished at the party I
was at.  No exclamations of, "Wow!  That was awesome!"  It wasn't
awesome.  It was mediocre just like the touring band that calls
itself "The Who."

The audience wasn't "into it," I'm sorry to say.  Those sing-along
parts were pre-recorded beforehand & added to the performance
to give it a....sense of excitement?....that the set obviously lacked.

The people I was watching it with talked more about Zak's cymbals
than the band's performance.

The band did OK, nothing more.  There were no major flubs but there
were no major highs, either, IMO.  Just the usual mediocre music
we've been getting for the past 8 years, plus a glitzy stage & fireworks.

After the game I was looking for a little positivism & asked my friend
Jeff if The Who pulled it off.  "They were alright," he said.  "Daltrey....?
I don't know what to say...."

- SCHRADE in Akron