who trivia from starpress

Martin Bailey Martin.Bailey at netsoltech.com
Tue Feb 9 13:52:18 UTC 2010

Ernie posed the following questions.

I'll bite.  Its a good excuse to show off my ignorance:

> 1. In rock's 1960s heyday, popular local DJ and promoter Bill Craig Jr.
> booked The Who to play in the Memorial Building at the Delaware County
> Fairgrounds. What seminal rock guitarist did Craig also bring to Muncie's
> fairgrounds back then?

Oooh, start with the hardest question.

I'm just guessing.
I don't think it was Eric Clapton, so it must be: Jimi Hendrix.

> 2. Two rock legends -- Mama Cass of the Mamas & the Papas and legendary
> bad-boy drummer Keith Moon of The Who -- died in the same London apartment in
> 1974 and 1978, respectively. How old were they, and what American musician
> owned that apartment?

No one knows for sure how old Keith was!  I can't remember their ages at all.

Was it Harry Nilsson?  (Semi-guess)

> 3. The Who was performing on The Smothers Brothers Comedy Hour in 1967 when
> Moon, who often ended a show by destroying his drum kit, packed it too full
> of explosives, resulting in a televised blast that guitarist Pete Townshend
> later claimed deafened him in one ear. What song were they performing
> before the blast?

Ah, easy one at last.  Yes, I've seen The Kids Are Alright.  My Generation.

But wasn't it John claimed he was deafened by this, rather than Pete?
Pete blamed listening to headphones in his studio.

> 4. In 1964, members of The Who briefly changed their band's name before
> returning to The Who. What did they temporarily call themselves?

The High Numbers.

I'm on a roll now.

> 5. The Who notched a first hit with its first release in January of 1965.
> What was that song?

I Can't Explain.

Nothing can stop me now.

> 6. What infamous Yippie leader did Townshend smack with his guitar and kick
> off the stage at Woodstock after the intruder grabbed a microphone during a
> lull in Tommy to protest someone's marijuana bust?

Abbie Hoffman.

Keep 'em coming.  Faster! Faster!

> 7. On the cover of Who Are You, the last Who album that Moon appeared on
> before his untimely death, he is sitting on a chair with five prophetic words
> stenciled on it. What are they?

Ends on an easy one.

1. Not
3. be