Is it true that the NFL doesn't pay the halftime acts?

bigjon1 at optonline.net bigjon1 at optonline.net
Tue Feb 9 00:46:00 UTC 2010

Good question-
Sent via BlackBerry by AT&T

-----Original Message-----
From: Garrett Jennings <garrettjennings55 at yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 08 Feb 2010 16:44:20
To: <thewho at igtc.com>
Subject: Is it true that the NFL doesn't pay the halftime acts?

I need to know.  I saw a couple of websites that state that the NFL just covers the expenses of the bands that perform at the Superbowl and that they don't pay them the millions that I always assumed.
There are couple of websites that stated that bands perform just to get the spike in album sales.
But I find it hard to believe that if Sprint or Bridgestone pays $12 million to be the official sponsor of the halftime show that some of that money doesn't go to the act.  And I find it hard to believe that Mccartney, Springsteen or the Stones would perform "for free".
I was curious how much the Who were paid - but I can't find any info - I'm just curious (ballpark figure) how much they got paid compared to previous acts.
Anyone know any insider info?