Superbowls

Keithjmoon70 at aol.com Keithjmoon70 at aol.com
Sat Feb 6 22:59:36 UTC 2010

Tomorrow is Superbowl Sunday.  I remember when I was a boy, the  Superbowl
was really a big day for me.

When I was young things were so much more special. The feelings were  much
stronger, the excitement far more exhilarating. Everything was new. I
didn't know what was gonna happen! The highs were higher and the lows were
lower. Roger Staubach of the Dallas Cowboys was my boyhood hero back then.   You
see, he worked hard.  He never gave up. There was always a chance they
would win the game at the end. I wore White and Blue #12 in the 70's. But, he
got too many concussions and had to stop playing at 38. The Detroit Lions
never won anything in my life.

Then...being in Jr high, everything, and to my dismay,  everyone changed.
It was a real shock! Kids that used to just  have fun stopped having fun and
started caring about how they looked and  acted. Instead of the simple
choice of what game to play, it was changed  to who were you identified with.
Could you fit in with the cool kids? Am I  cool? And just who is it that
determines what is cool and what isn't  anyway? Now sports were defined by your
athletic skill. Lines were  drawn. There were girls.  And cigarettes. And
drugs. You want me to do  what?!  It's not playing anymore.  Why were you my
friend last  year but not this year? Who Are You? I was in the 8th grade in
1978.

There was music then. During those Disco years, some music came in and went
 out just as quickly. It was a big deal to stay away from that! But...other
music  was heard by my soul and was recorded into it as if it had found
it's  home.  Before this music, I didn't much know what kind of a soul I had. I
 didn't "know" anything.Up to this point I had never been let down. I
thought people were pure. I was an empty glass. I was dumb as hell.

But I had good taste in music.  :-)

I guess I'm a grown man now and the Superbowl doesn't mean much  anymore.
Grown-ass men running around with helmets on. That are  younger than I am!  I
wanted to see maybe if Brett Favre could pull it  out and beat the Saints
as an old guy but the Vikings beat themselves by  turning the ball over. They
said 'we don't want to be in the  Superbowl, you take the ball!' When I was
a boy, this would've ruined my  night.  But now it really doesn't matter.
It's a game.

But music still does.  My music does. Music is something of  eternal value.
 Real music is. From those innocent days of excitement  through all the
joy, pain, hard work, gain, hope, loss, bustid heartz,  shattered concepts, and
misunderstandings of the last decades, the music  has been playing.  Time
is passing. We're older now.

This half-time The Who is playing.  Some say it isn't The Who  anymore.
Not without Keith and John there.  Maybe they're right about  that. I miss
them very much and I wish they would've taken better care of  themselves so
they could be here, too.  But the man that seemed to  understand me through the
most difficult times of my life is going to be  there. And the music is
going to be there, too. Roger didn't give up and he  didn't retire. It's their
right to be who they are and to do what they do and  they look good doing
it.  I'm so glad that so many people get to see them  tomorrow that may have
never known about them.

The Who isn't just a rock band. That's Aerosmith. The Who is a force. The
Who makes a statement beyond the sound of vocals, drums and guitars. It
uses sound to reach humans and it even makes humans one with that sound.   It's
writer speaks to your subconscious and tells you who you are. -Because you
don't know. But, having listened, now you may be bold enough, brave enough,
 and just maybe miraculously OPEN enough to ask. It's laid out there if you
 really wanna know. The Who is like a can opener of the can of truth. Many
just  like to admire it or keep it in the drawer or say they have it or stab
 other people with it.  I'd like to use it to open that can. I'd like  to
learn something! It's in the words of the songs.

 So, tomorrow if Pete swings his arm and if Roger twirls his mic so  that
it wraps around his body and unwraps in front of all those people watching,
I'll be collecting those hand slaps.

Jon in Mi