Pete On the Super Bowl & Other Things

Alan McKendree amck at thenetdr.com
Wed Feb 3 04:44:49 UTC 2010

>> It's about the idea that there is a tremendous feeling of fear
>> today about the future and about our responsibility for the
>> future...They look at the future and they don't see any answers,
>> and they don't see very much hope.
>
> This sounds exactly like Pete's worry in the '80s that nuclear war
> would break out at any moment (cf. "I've Known No War").  His fears
> today are equally needless, although they may (hopefully) result in
> some good music.
>
> From: "Jim M" <nakedi at comcast.net>
> Date: February 1, 2010 10:38:54 AM CST

> From: "Alan McKendree" <amck at thenetdr.com>
>>
>> This sounds exactly like Pete's worry in the '80s that nuclear war
>> would break out at any moment (cf. "I've Known No War").  His
>> fears today are equally needless, although they may (hopefully)
>> result in some good music.
>
> This statement assumes that 1) we're out of the woods now,
> regarding global nuclear conflict and 2) the anti-nuke movement
> played no role in ending the cold war.  I don't think either of
> those are safe assumptions.
>
> Jim M

All I meant re: the nukes is that I was taking it as a given that the
nuclear fears of the '80s -- of a nuclear duke-it-out between the US
and Russia -- are and should be over, given that none were exploded
in the '80s.  I'm not saying nuclear war could never occur again, but
with a proper foreign policy by the US it won't.

Pete's (or anyone else's) fears of "our responsibility for the
future" are even more groundless than his fears of nuclear conflict
back then, given that nuclear conflict *could* have happened then,
whereas the future will be just fine assuming we can stay (or become)
rational about it.  Specifically, the current hysteria about
anthropogenic global warming and/or unsustainable use of resources is
demonstrably unnecessary, although this isn't the venue in which to
demonstrate it.  I'll be happy to discuss further offline.

Cheers,