Re: Psychoderelict - The Comic Book

jmarc at jmarcschmidt.com jmarc at jmarcschmidt.com
Sat Aug 21 08:38:01 UTC 2010

~ Martin said:
>  Better still: have you tried setting yourself up as an Amazon Marketplace reseller?
>  On both Amazon.com and Amazon.co.uk?

Hi Martin, I've looked into selling my Psychoderelict comic book on Amazon Marketplace. As far as I can see the book needs to have a barcode to be sold there. I could have got one of those for Psychoderelict but I didn't because Pete didn't give permission to make the book. (He didn't specifcally ask me *not* to make the book either! I am guessing his reason for that is that the reprint rights to Psychoderelict are spread between him and a publishing company, which is why it wasn't reprinted in the CD sleeve of the first pressing of Psychoderelict. So it's complicated.) Also barcodes cost extra! I also looked into getting the book into a shop in the UK (Page 45 in Nottingham) but the cost of freight is too high, according to them. It would make the sticker price prohibitively expensive so they said no thanks. If you're not comfortable starting a paypal account, I can think of these ways:

1. Send me AUD$15 in cash by post. Use registered mail to make sure you know it gets to me, and it's probably a good idea to wrap the cash in foil. A bank cheque is safer still but costs extra to make. E-mail me if you're interested and I'll send you my postal address.
2. Contact either of these retailers, both in the US. They should be able to ship one to you, but the cost will probably be greater than if you bought it from me. I dropped off some copies to both stores on consignment when I was in the US recently:
http://www.alternaterealitycomics.net/ (Las Vegas)
http://www.zanaducomics.com/ (Seattle)
3. Go to the Who Convention in London in October this year: http://www.thewhoconvention.com/ There may be some there, and maybe even signed by Pete, but it's not 100% confirmed yet!

Paypal's pretty good, though. They've been in business for a few years, they're reliable.

>  In the meantime: have you considered a Tommy or Quadrophenia comic?
>  Maybe something more based around the original albums rather than the films?

Tommy and Quadrophenia would both make excellent comics! I had thought if I did another Pete Townshend adaptation, I'd like to adapt one of Pete's stories from Horse's Neck. The story 'Fish Shop' in particular would make a fine graphic novella, containing a great yarn from Pete's youth as well as the origin of the Who song 'A Man is a Man'; as would 'Ropes', which stars Ray and Rastus. Also next time I want to have Pete on board before I do anything!

Cheers,
J Marc