ten best rock operas, ten worst rock operas

John Hughes pureneasy at tiscali.co.uk
Sat Apr 17 15:11:44 UTC 2010

JOELTLE515 at aol.com  wrote on  Apr 16, 2010 12:56 AM

> > _10  Worst Rock Operas - Spinner_
> > (http://www.spinner.com/2010/04/14/rock-operas-list-worst/)
> >
> > on a personal note, I think "bat out of hell" is one of the best albums

> > ever made. YOU try writing lyrics like that.

Actually, just try writing lyrics and music like that.

I agree, I've always like it as an album - partly because Todd Rundgren put
Steinamn's vison into reality.

I don't know how many people here are Todd fans, but apropos the Bat out of
Hell album, is this anecdote from Jim Steinman;

"We had that whole song down and it was brilliant. I think Todd felt it was
all over. But I was like, "Where's the motorcycle?" He says, "Oh, you want a
motorcycle. A thousand background vocals, a million guitar solos, a
ten-minute song . and you want a motorcycle." "Yeah, I want a motorcycle. Do
you have motorcycle sound effects?" He says, "No. I'll do it with my
guitar."

He went over to his guitar rack and said, "Let's see, motorcycle . here we
go." He goes, "I forgot to ask you. Is it a Yamaha, a Kawasaki, or a Harley
Davidson?" I said, "Harley-Davidson."

He says "I thought so - why did I even ask?"

He goes and adjusts three buttons on his guitar rack and did the motorcycle
with his guitar. You hear it rev up, you hear the motor, you hear the fire
coming out of it, and you hear it do a wheelie.

I thought he was going to have to stop for gas."