Planet Rock Poll - GREATEST INTRO OF ALL TIME

Martin Bailey mobailey at ntlworld.com
Sun Apr 11 09:17:28 UTC 2010

These polls are usually a good excuse to help advertise The Who's music, and
this one's no exception.
Greatest Who Intro?  Loads come to mind.  Won't Get Fooled Again.  I Am The
Sea / The Real Me.  Pinball Wizard.  Baba O'Riley.  There's a long list.

But this month I went for the rare non-Who option.  I voted for Neil Young's
Cortez The Killer.
Practically the who song is an intro.
A great slow build-up, and a lesson in that guitar solos don't need to be
played fast.

-MB

from:  http://www.planetrock.com/Article.asp?id=1750520

An intro is really pretty important. It starts the song, after all, and
gives the listener their first taste of what's to come.
Unless it is one of those sneaky curveball intros that is nothing like the
song. Those can occasionally be quite good too...

Sometimes it's a riff, sometimes it's a drum break, sometimes a spoken word
introduction - occasionally it's even a synth refrain.
Whatever the case, an intro is sometimes the most recognisable part of the
song and is often the most memorable.

In this month's poll we want to know what you think is the Greatest Rock
Intro.

Remember, this is the INTRO only that you're voting for - not the riff.
Sure, a riff is often in the intro to a song, but any votes for a riff that
doesn't appear at the very beginning of the song will be discounted from the
vote (and very possibly laughed at mercilessly by the Planet Rock staff).
So think hard, get that record collection out and find that one intro that
really rocks your world.