Mojo Magazine October 2009 - Chris Jones Proud Central Exhibition Photos

Martin Bailey mobailey at ntlworld.com
Tue Sep 1 18:02:32 UTC 2009

The latest issues of Mojo magazine in the UK has a picture of The Beatles are on the front.  I bought it because of the cover CD - the whole Abbey Road album covered by modern bands such as Cornershop, Nine Below Zero, Gomez and Jonah & the Whale.  And lots more people we've never heard of.

Like the original album itself, there's nothing special about the first half of this CD, but it really gets going for the second half.

The covers range from perfect copies of I Want You and You Never Give me Your Money, to beautiful, tear-inducing slowed down versions of Sun King and Golden Slumbers.   (I've only heard the CD once - I think I've got that right.)

Anyway: that's not why we're here.

The magazine also includes a 5-page article on Chris Jones's photos of The Who.  The article relates to the "Proud Central" exhibition in London that Brian recently mentioned.

There's lots of nice photos I've not seen before, and amusing stories behind them.

For example, Jones says: "I could shoot them on the loo!  I could shoot them in bed with their girlfriends!"  Luckily, none of those photos are included in this article.

I've scanned the article into a wonky PDF, and I've uploaded it to my website here:

http://sites.google.com/site/mobaileyorg/Home/magazines

-MB