Oderus Urungus of GWAR on The Who

JOELTLE515 at aol.com JOELTLE515 at aol.com
Tue Sep 1 11:24:24 UTC 2009

In a message dated 9/1/2009 7:05:39 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
brianinatlanta2001 at yahoo.com writes:

> Pete Townshend and Robert Daltrey just needed the money so bad, they
> actually had a replacement come in the very next show and they opened the set
> with the song 'Substitute'. You have to say something for a band with that
> kind of balls. We would have to resurrect John Entwistle from the dead, and
> Keith Moon so everyone could enjoy the GWAR / Who show.

I hope "robert daltrey" was a dumb misprint and not something this dude
actually said.  and no, "substitute" wasn't the first song they played on the
first night without entwistle. REAL who fanatics remember that it was "I
can't explain" (like every other show they've done since 2000), and THEN they
did "substitute". I don't think they realised the irony of doing that song at
that moment. I didn't even notice it until just now. the song was part of
the regular setlist in that slot since 1999.

I highly doubt the who, with keith and John or without, would wanna tour
with a band like GWAR. if no one knows exactly what this GWAR band is, they
basically took the formula that KISS started with and took it to a whole other
level (some would say they went TOO far with it, but I digress.. ha). sort
of like the most horrific kind of horror movie come to life. Look up photos
of them at google, you'll see what I'm talking about.  there's another band
that more or less does the same called Lordi.  and I guess you can add
slipknot to that list as well, but they're more laid back compared to the
previous two.