Cincinnati has "Wholloween" Saturday

Brian Cady brianinatlanta2001 at yahoo.com
Fri Oct 30 11:13:36 UTC 2009

>From Cincinnati.com
http://shar.es/ax16k

For whom it may concern - 'Wholloween'
By Chris Varias • Enquirer contributor • October 30, 2009

A splintered Stratocaster. A black leather jacket. An energy dome. That's the way to accessorize for Halloween at the Northside Tavern Saturday night, when several musicians gather to pay tribute to three of pop music's most archetypal bands - the Who, the Ramones and Devo.

The "Wholloween" show is a benefit for WVQC-FM (95.7). The low-power radio station is scheduled to begin broadcasting this fall from a studio inside the non-profit commuity center Media Bridges in Over-the-Rhine.

Local musicians Scotty Wood and Jason Knarr are putting together the Ramones and Devo tribute bands, respectively. The Who band features members of the local groups Catepillar Tracks and Fists of Love. Former Afghan Whig John Curley, who will be playing the role of Who bassist John Entwistle, talked about his longtime Who fandom, which traces back to his teenage years in suburban Washington, D.C.

Question: When did you discover the Who?

Answer: It was probably around the time that "Who Are You" came out (1978). There was a special on the radio, and I taped it on a cassette. I was probably already familiar with "Won't Get Fooled Again" and the song that I thought was called "Teenage Wasteland" ("Baba O'Riley"). I think everyone thinks it's called "Teenage Wasteland."

Q: Especially when you're a teenager.