Pete on BBC Radio 4

Alan McKendree amck at thenetdr.com
Thu Oct 22 13:34:15 UTC 2009

Thanks, Alan.  I know little about Purcell, but apparently one of his
tricks or styles of composition was to create a new chords by
changing only one or two notes from a previous chord, as in the
opening of Pinball Wizard.  If you check him out on wikipedia and
scroll down, there'a composition available called "The Queen's
Dolour" and you can judge for yourself.

>Regards
>
>Alan
>

>Baroque and Roll: Townshend on Purcell
>

>Tuesday 27 October
>1:30pm - 2:00pm
>BBC Radio 4
>
>The Who guitarist and songwriter Pete Townshend talks about the band's
>career and reveals the influence on his songwriting of Baroque composer
>Henry Purcell. When Pete was a struggling 20-year-old musician he was
>turned on to Purcell by his manager, Kit Lambert. It was Kit's
>recommendation of Purcell's Gordian Knot Untied that struck the loudest
>chord with Pete, awakening him to a lineage in English music that seemed
>strangely familiar. Immersing himself in the music, he soon set about
>writing The Who's first album. Pete reveals how he drew on Purcell's
>dramatic genius for his most intriguing compositions. From his first
>mini-rock opera to his masterpiece, Tommy, and from his enduring Lifehouse
>project through to his current musical endeavour, there has always been a
>Purcellian presence.

Cheers,
--
Alan
"the average Texan...carries not just a gun but a SHOTGUN."