The Sunday Times Rich List

John pureneasy at tiscali.co.uk
Mon May 4 19:24:03 UTC 2009

Chris, with thanks to Scott for the wiki extract;

> > I still find it hard to believe Dire Straits was that big;  maybe they
> > were bigger in the UK than they were in the states.
>
>   Dire Straits were huge practically everywhere.  BROTHERS IN ARMS ("Money

>   For Nothing") was a giant success.  This from Wikipedia:

The other reason why people like Knopfler have more than Pete is despite it
all, Pete's royalties from Who songs (as played on the radio, tv etc)
between 1982 and 1996 must have dried up.

Knopfler however probably composed most if not all of Dire Straits ,aterial
and given the airplay generated, nust have had - and still has - good
royalties.

We shouldn't underestimate the value of performance royalties for bands -
and the song composers.

We just have to look at the legal action over royalties from a whiter shade
of pale. That one song, over a 40 year period, generated sufficient
royalties that Matthew Fisher claimed for back royaslties as a composer of
£1 million.

And yes, it's quite likely that Karen will go for a half share of what Pete
has!

John