The Sunday Times Rich List

Scott Schrade schrade at akrobiz.com
Sun May 3 23:47:51 UTC 2009

> I still find it hard to believe Dire Straits was that big;
>  maybe they were bigger in the UK than they were
> in the states.

Dire Straits were huge practically everywhere.  BROTHERS
IN ARMS ("Money For Nothing") was a giant success.  This
from Wikipedia:

==========
The album was a hit for the group. In the US, propelled by the
success of #1 single "Money For Nothing", the album also reached
the #1 spot on the Billboard 200 and remained to the top for nine
weeks. In the UK, thanks to a string of Top 10 hits, the album also
easily hit #1 on the UK Albums Chart. Brothers in Arms topped the
Australian albums chart for 34 (non-consecutive) weeks. Brothers
In Arms is 2nd album with most weeks at number-one in ARIA
Albums Chart. The album topped the charts in 24 countries: Australia,
Austria, Canada, Belgium, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany,
Greece, Hong Kong, Yugoslavia, Iceland, Ireland, Israel, Norway,
New Zealand, Portugal, Spain, Switzerland, Sweden, Turkey, UK
and U.S. In the UK Albums Chart, Brothers in Arms has been 228
weeks.[3] In The Netherlands, the album broke the all-time longest
chart history with its (non-consecutive) 269 weeks. In Australia,
Brothers in Arms was the biggest selling album in 1985 and the
second best selling album in 1986, behind Whitney Houston's
eponymous album.

- SCHRADE in Akron