The Sunday Times Rich List

John pureneasy at tiscali.co.uk
Sun May 3 22:00:02 UTC 2009

Chris, re

> > However, can Pete really be worth less than Englebert Humperdink, Tom
> > Jones, Mark Knofler, and Van Morrison?! Shouldn't someone who is
> > arguably in the top five all time of rock songwriters be worth more?

No. The reality is that Humperdinck and Tom Jones have earnt mega bucks in
Las Vegas for many, many years - consistently. Pete's earnings stopped in
1982 and only really resumed in 1996.

By stopped, I mean from all aspects of the music biz except royalties. These
too have been drying up -  like most of the "dinosaur" bands' royalties have
dried up.

Apart from ticket sales Tom and Engel would have made money from merchandise
etc from their performances, whereas Pete only had royalties to support him
from 1982 to 1996. I have read somewhere that Who "record" sales even of the
reissues have been dismal - I think I read that the WSO re issue only sold
50,000 worldwide, which effectively gives Pete fuck all. I am of course open
to correction!

Much as I would love to have seen Pete make a fortune from his solo
catalogue, I doubt if he sold enough from Iron Man, Pyschoderelict and White
City to cover his costs.

As for Mark Knopfler, Dire Straights were the biggest band of the early CD
era and I have no doubt he earnt far more and has more than Pete.

Van Morrison? If he's as economical with money as he is with manners, then
he is still probably living off his Them royalties!

John