The Sunday Times Rich List

cfrate at roadrunner.com cfrate at roadrunner.com
Sun May 3 14:55:49 UTC 2009

I filtered the list for just music, and Pete is only #44! Doesn't that just seem wrong? Obviously McCartney and the other Beatles and the Stones would be ahead of him; that makes sense. I understand Page and Plant too, because Zeppelin was really the first band to control all their money. Pink Floyd and Elton John and Bernie Taupin, the guys from Queen, and Sting are ahead too and - while I still don't understand it - at least they make some sense. However, can Pete really be worth less than Englebert Humperdink, Tom Jones, Mark Knofler, and Van Morrison?! Shouldn't someone who is arguably in the top five all time of rock songwriters be worth more?

-Confused Chris in Cleveland

---- Brian Cady <brianinatlanta2001 at yahoo.com> wrote:

http://business.timesonline.co.uk/tol/business/specials/rich_list/rich_list_2009

PETE TOWNSHEND
RESULTS FOR 2009
Ranking: 1,348=
Worth: £40m
Source of wealth: Music

Townshend, 63, has been a member of the celebrated band the Who for more than 45 years. In May, he begins work as a creative consultant for a UK touring theatre production of Quadrophenia, the 1973 album later made into a cult film. Today, Townshend and singer Roger Daltrey still tour regularly and 2008 saw 20 dates, mainly in North America and Japan, with appearances in Australia this year. Pollstar reported gross box office receipts of $8.3m in North America in 2008 from eight shows. Townshend’s two main companies, Eel Pie Recording Productions and Eel Pie Publishing, had about £2.8m of net assets in 2007-08. We value Richmond-based Townshend at £40m.

RESULTS FOR 2008
Ranking: 1,794=
Worth: £40m
Source of wealth: Fashion

ROGER DALTREY
RESULTS FOR 2009
Ranking: 1,673=
Worth: £32m
New entry
Source of wealth: Music

Still rocking at 65, Daltrey wowed tens of thousands of Who fans in Australia and New Zealand on a short spring tour. He and Pete Townshend (qv), the other surviving original band member, played more than 110 dates in 2006-07 but changed gear a little in 2008, with only about 20 gigs. Pollstar reported gross box office receipts of $8.3m in North America in 2008 from eight shows to 80,000 people. The Who’s most recent studio album, Endless Wire, was released in 2006 and the following year saw a definitive DVD documentary, entitled Amazing Journey: The Story of The Who. Daltrey’s main financial vehicle, Beju Bop, made £456,000 profit on £493,000 sales in 2005-06, but files only abbreviated accounts now. The overseas income from repeated plays of Who tracks, including the theme tune to the TV series CSI, will have helped boost the band’s income over the years to at least £100m. Daltry is a big supporter of the Teenage Cancer Trust. In all,
 Burwash-based Daltrey’s share is £32m.

RESULTS FOR 2008
New entry

 -Brian in Atlanta