Pete interview in The Telegraph

Keithjmoon70 at aol.com Keithjmoon70 at aol.com
Thu Mar 26 21:27:04 UTC 2009

"In Tommy there was autobiography, but I only realised that years later  when
I tried to understand its enormous and unexpected success.

It has  its roots in the difficulties of my rather typical post-war British
childhood:  parents trying to find themselves after a frightening and traumatic
time, and  their growing kids wondering how they would ever be able do
anything to match  their parent’s courage. New audiences hear Tommy, and find a
different story,  their own story: that is what matters to me.

I want the music to have  function. If Abba’s music is to help us sing our
way through a grey day, the  Who’s music is probably better to stop you driving
your car over a cliff. Both  are important functions, but I always want to
feel I have helped you see  something about yourself, not something about me.
Abba and the Who are closer  than they might first appear. Love Reign O'er Me and
SOS are both songs  about the search for intangible love. Not a small
subject."

Jon in Mi