McLagan on the Townshend schnozz

Brian Cady brianinatlanta2001 at yahoo.com
Wed Mar 4 11:44:24 UTC 2009

>From Metro Times:
http://www.metrotimes.com/music/story.asp?id=13743
Eddie Baranek reviews Ian McLagan (and if you don't know who he is, you better ask somebody!)

MT: I saw you play with Pete [Townshend] a couple years back at South by Southwest. I was right up front, right behind all the photographers. A lot of people in the audience kept yelling at me to sit down and shut up 'cause I was disrupting this polite, sit-down thing, and it really annoyed the fuck outta me.

MCLAGAN That's fucked. Well, that's the same thing that happened to us when the Faces went to see Elvis in Vegas. 'Sit down or out you go!' I mean, Jesus Christ!

MT: You guys burst into "What'cha Gonna Do About It" and I can't fucking sit down. I've got to pay my respects!

MCLAGAN There you go. I said to Pete, "Pete, take the fucker back!" And Pete knew exactly what I meant! 'Cause I said when I heard that [guitar] solo on [the first Small Faces single] "What'cha Gonna Do About It?" there's only one place Steve [Marriott] could've got that idea and it was from Pete Townshend.

MT: Yeah, I remember when you introduced Townshend that night; you talked about his big nose. It was great.

MCLAGAN [laughs] Many years ago in Mojo, Townshend said: "When people talk about my nose they did so with great affection. Ian McLagan used to call me 'big-nosed cunt'."

 -Brian in Atlanta
The Who This Month!
http://www.thewhothismonth.com