Mose Allison on The Who

Brian Cady brianinatlanta2001 at yahoo.com
Thu Jun 18 10:58:59 UTC 2009

>From Fast Forward Weekly (Calgary):
http://www.ffwdweekly.com/article/music/music-previews/not-so-young-mans-blues-3954/

Does he remember the first time he heard The Who’s version of “Young Man’s Blues”? “Well, I remember when I got the cheque,” he says with an audible chuckle. “I thought it was a mistake. I’d been getting cheques for $10, $12. Then I got one that was for a lot more, it was like $6,000 or $7,000, something like that. I thought it was a mistake, but then I found out it wasn’t.” When the vanguard of the British Invasion re-invented American blues and rock ’n’ roll, they found ample material in Allison’s songbook. Allison, in turn, credits them with having saved him “from oblivion.”

“I know Pete Townshend,” Allison says. “He’s come to see me a couple of times. I met him a couple of times, went out to his house one time. He’s done about as much for me as anybody. Of course, Van Morrison and Bonnie Raitt also have done me a lot of good, but Pete Townshend was one of the first.”

 -Brian in Atlanta
The Who This Month!
http://www.thewhothismonth.com