Tommy film in Serbia

Brian Cady brianinatlanta2001 at yahoo.com
Tue Jul 21 10:34:45 UTC 2009

>From Blic online:
http://www.blic.rs/culture.php?id=4854

Film miracle is a fusion of image and music
Author: Biljana Vuckovic

Subotica - This year’s winner of Aleksandar Lifka Award at the European Film Festival Palic is the renowned British director Ken Russell. His presence at the festival in Palic has been a great honor for the festival organizers, as well as for the audience, who also had an opportunity to see him at the projection of the cult film “Tommy” in the “Jadran” cinema hall in Subotica.

Accompanied by his wife Lisi Tribble and the director Dinko Tucakovic, he watched the film and then addressed the audience, recalling interesting situations from shooting of his most famous films.

“Ten years have passed from the last time I saw “Tommy”, it is permeated with opera composed by Puccini or Rossini. When I was 12, my parents bought me a film projector on which I played German films and composed music which would fit in. That was my first contact of melody and film and I think that only in the fusion of image and music does the film miracle happen. The strength of these two kinds of art prompted me to create a music film “Tommy” which I used as a kind of a personal story to such an extent that my daughter Victoria acted in it,” says Ken Russell.

Having been in a good mood from his arrival in Palic, Russell pointed out that his basic idea when he shoots films is to cheer people up.

“I shoot films in order to make people happy and to teach them something. One should always take the best from life and that is the reason why I salute films created in a positive way. Federico Fellini told me once in Rome that he is proud of being the Italian Ken Russell,” said Ken Russell.

 -Brian in Atlanta
The Who This Month!
http://www.thewhothismonth.com