Fun Quiz!

jimthewhofan at aol.com jimthewhofan at aol.com
Thu Jan 29 12:11:21 UTC 2009

>>D) No one can ever replace Keith Moon although Zak Starkey is the only drummer
who's ever come close.

Which is obviously the only correct response.<<

 Of course, we know you are speaking facetiously with respect to the "only correct response."

This brings to mind a something that's bugged me a bit about the post-JAE Who...if it was sooooo necessary that the Who needed a "Keith Moon type drummer" (that Jones wasn't), why hasn't it been necessary for the Who to need a "John Entwistle like" bassist? Pino Palladino is a quintessential "pocket player" bassist. He may have been a quick study so that Pete and Roger could complete the 2002 US tour. But why has Pino remained? I'm sure he's a nice guy and all that, but he's not in Entwistle's league and he's not in Entwistle's style.

And for those of you who defend Pino's continuance, how can you not defend Jones's?

Here's my take...the restructuring of the Who in 1979 and again in 2002 and the continuation of the band after those new members were brought in had less to do with music than they had to do with guys Pete Townshend wanted, that Pete felt he could count on, and frankly, that Pete felt would work for him, not against him.