Pete's Blog - THE KENNEDY AWARDS WEEKEND

Alan McKendree amck at thenetdr.com
Sun Jan 18 16:20:17 UTC 2009

On Jan 16, 2009, at 3:13 AM, thewho-request at igtc.com wrote:

>> I'm one of the biggest Who fans going,
>> and I still managed to be aware of -- and appreciate -- "Funny Girl",
>> "People", "Hello Dolly", etc. before I was 20.
>
> Ah, but that's not a fair argument to make.  These are three very
> well known songs.

Yeah, but I was aware of specifically Streisand's recordings of them.

> I'm sure BS is aware of My Generation, Won't Get Fooled Again and
> Teenage Wasteland (sic).

A fair comment, although I'm not sure I'd let her off the hook until
she proved it :-).

> But Love Reign O'er Me is a relatively obscure album track, and as
> a single it's even more obscure.
> It may be on a few best-of compilations, but I'm sure that there's
> a lot of people in the world who can name 3 Who songs, and LROM
> won't be one of them.
> I can understand people never having heard it before (their loss).

Maybe I spend too much time online with Who fans, but it's tough to
imagine a person of Streisand's general age and demographic who's
never heard Quadrophenia...we should start a charitable relief
effort, like Homes for Humanity...

> From: Joe Lewinski <lewinski at icanon.com>
> Date: January 14, 2009 5:59:25 PM CST
>
> Jim wrote:
>
> >  Hey, Alan. Did you really watch Pete's reaction to that
> performance and think it was anything other than genuine respect,
> > admiration and emotion? You're obviously entitled to your own
> opinion of the performance, but I don't see how you ca
> > say that you don't think Pete was moved. It was written all over
> his face.
>
> > Jim M
>
> Yeah!  What's the problem Alan?      :-)      Please explain your
> suspicions on this.

OK, I watched it again (on youtube) and I agree Pete gave every
indication of approving the performance. However, under the
circumstances, what else could he do? Approval is the gracious
response in such a setting, and he was being a gentleman. Granted, I
may be projecting my own opinion of the song onto his. It sounded
like she started at the wrong time; she stuck in extra words; "love
rain all over me" multiple times -- you probably read her statement
that she *would not* sing the word "o'er", which right there says she
either couldn't or wouldn't open up to what the song was saying; "I
can't speak so I stay at home and think"...I could go on. All that,
and the "coloratura" detracted from the song and focused the
attention on HER -- "Wow, what a voice she has." Yes, she does, but
she wasn't serving the song, she was using the song as a vehicle for
her own vocal tricks. IOW, she was singing a song she had no
connection to, so what she did was apply the tricks and style -- the
"default settings" -- that have made her career.  THAT could just as
well be what Pete was responding to.

> I think this song speaks to the core of *the blues*, which is
> experienced by
> the *down-trodden* and *disenfranchised*, as well as the
> *misunderstood teenager*
> that Pete originally wrote this song about, IMO.

Not sure what you mean. B LeVette didn't sound like any blues I'd
call blues. LROM doesn't have a blues meter or structure, and the
lyrics aren't about traditional blues subjects, nor is the theme
about "feeling bad" or overcoming difficulties.

Cheers,
Alan McKendree
Townshend, 1967