Pete's Blog - THE KENNEDY AWARDS WEEKEND

Alan McKendree amck at thenetdr.com
Wed Jan 14 14:46:50 UTC 2009

>My favourite moment was when Bettye LaVette sang a very fine version
>of LOVE REIGN O'ER ME

I suspect Pete is being kind here.  At any rate, it didn't work for
me.  She sounded like she had no real connection to the song...just
reciting words she'd memorized -- or read from a teleprompter -- and
moaning a little extra whenever she came to "love".

>at the Gala and Barbra Streisand turned to ask me if I really wrote it.

I've been meaning to write this ever since I first read it, so now I
don't have to look up the original mention:  this makes Barbra
Streisand a moron.  I understand that rock may not be everyone's
thing, but for someone of her age and profession to be stone ignorant
of the greatest rock album ever produced, or even that single in
particular, is inexcusable.  I'm one of the biggest Who fans going,
and I still managed to be aware of -- and appreciate -- "Funny Girl",
"People", "Hello Dolly", etc. before I was 20.

Cheers,
--
Alan
"the average Texan...carries not just a gun but a SHOTGUN."