Planet Rock- GREATEST VOICE IN ROCK RESULTS

Sue DeSimone suesjoy at gmail.com
Wed Jan 14 11:22:10 UTC 2009

Message: 5
Date: Mon, 12 Jan 2009 04:57:19 EST
From: Lowgens02 at aol.com
Subject: Re: Planet Rock - GREATEST VOICE IN ROCK RESULTS
To: thewho at igtc.com

Very respectable on Roger indeed.

I'd like to add Geoffe Tate of Queensryche to the list.

In a message dated 1/12/2009 4:36:06 AM Eastern Standard Time,
mbailey at netsoltek.co.uk writes:

from:  http://www.planetrock.co.uk/gvir.html

Roger is a respectable  5th.

-MB

Throughout December 2008 we asked you to tell us  who you thought had the
Greatest Voice In Rock and thousands of you duly  complied.

And the results are in...

With just under 10% of the  votes to himself you named Led Zeppelin's iconic
frontman, Robert Plant as the  greatest rock singer of all time.

It's impossible now to imagine Led  Zeppelin without that trademark howl,
but
Plant was famously the second choice  singer for Jimmy Page in 1968. After
Terry Reid rejected the chance to join  the New Yardbirds he recommended
Plant
and the rest is, as they say, history.  Plant went on to sell 300 million
records as a member of Zep and as a solo  artist, and with one of the most
distinctive voices in rock that, as 2007's  Zep gig proved, has aged pretty
well you
can't really argue against Percy's  place at the top of the Rock Vocalist
pile.

Meanwhile, Queen as a band  also did rather well in the list. Original
frontman Freddie Mercury came in at  number two, while the band's current
incumbent
of the microphone and former  Free and Bad Company singer, Paul Rodgers,
came
in at number  three.

Similarly Deep Purple, Black Sabbath , AC/DC and Van Halen did  pretty well
with multiple singers in the list.

Thirty-two of the top  forty are still performing today, while the youngest
entrant in the list is  former Soundgarden and Audioslave frontman Chris
Cornell who made the list at  number 39.

And the only female representation in the top 40 is Janis  Joplin, who is at
number 21. Stevie Nicks and Grace Slick fell just short of  the list.

Here's the Top Forty Greatest Voices In Rock

1. Robert  Plant
2. Freddie Mercury
3. Paul Rodgers
4. Ian Gillan
5. Roger  Daltrey
6. David Coverdale
7. Axl Rose
8. Bruce Dickinson
9.  Mick Jagger
10. Bon Scott
11. David Bowie
12. Jon Bon Jovi
13.  Steven Tyler
14. Jon Anderson
15. Bruce Springsteen
16. Steve  Perry
17. Ozzy Osbourne
18. Bono
19. Peter Gabriel
20. James  Hetfield
21. Janis Joplin
22. Brian Johnson
23. Roger Chapman
24. Phil Lynott
25. Glenn Hughes
26. Joe Cocker
27. Jim  Morrison
28. Alex Harvey
29. Alice Cooper
30. Ronnie James Dio
31. Sammy Hagar
32. Meat Loaf
33. Rob Halford
34. Geddy Lee
35. Biff Byford
36. David Gilmour
37. Fish
38. Dave Lee Roth
39. Chris Cornell
40. Neil Young

I actually prefer Pete's voice to Roger's...but that's what I get for being
a woman! (Pete's is much prettier!).  Yeah of course Rog's voice is more
rock n roll.

I agree with MOST of the list...BUT, as much as I LOVE Neil Young...how on
earth did he beat out Grace Slick?
SHE had the best voice in rock I think...well, at least female voice.
There should be a female list and a male list. It's kinda lame to lump them
both together.
Neil's is unique, but it took years for it to grow on me (as was the case
with Joni Mitchell! She's not a rock vocalist I know...).

--
Sing like no one is listening... they probably aren't!!!