Pete's Blog - THE KENNEDY AWARDS WEEKEND

Martin Bailey mobailey at ntlworld.com
Fri Jan 9 19:33:04 UTC 2009

from http://www.thewho.com/index.php?module=blog&blog_item_id=245

-MB

Pete's Blog
9th December, 2008
THE KENNEDY AWARDS WEEKEND

WHAT WERE THE BEST MOMENTS?

I found it all difficult in some ways. I'm not used to such formality, but
it was also extremely pleasant, and very well organised, we really were
looked after. My favourite moment was when Bettye LaVette sang a very fine
version of LOVE REIGN O'ER ME at the Gala and Barbra Streisand turned to ask
me if I really wrote it.

WHAT WERE THE STRANGEST MOMENTS?

There were no strange moments. Oh yes, that's right, I met some Who fans.
Always very strange.

DID YOU FEEL ANY SENSE OF COMMUNITY WITH GEORGE, MORGAN, BABS AND TWYLA?

According to the presentations we are all control freaks who have had many
ups and downs and won't accept no for an answer and that's probably why we
rose to the top of the slag-heap of life etc. So we got on well, are all
exactly alike, and we've decided to meet every first Saturday of the month
and play Gin-Rummy.

WHAT WAS IT LIKE TO MEET THE BUSHES?

What do you think? It was extraordinary. Mrs Bush went on stage to do the
introduction for George Jones and she was terrific. They really are both
genuine fans of his. They are both easy to be around, and he is funny and
engaging. She has a spectacular sparkle about her that makes them a very
attractive couple in the context of our weekend. At Christmas time they pose
for over 40,000 photos with guests. They seem to really enjoy the social
side of things and made us feel properly welcome. I really liked him, and I
suspect Barbra liked him too.

WAS THERE A TANGIBLE FEELING OF A 'CHANGING OF THE GUARD' IN WASHINGTON? IF
SO, HOW DID IT MANIFEST ITSELF?

There is both excitement and sadness. President Bush is well-liked in the
White House I can assure you. He will be missed there by the staff,
especially the marines who serve there; I think they appreciate working for
a man who has served in the Forces. Obama is eagerly anticipated though, of
course. I feel as if I am stating the obvious, which goes to show what an
incredibly silly question this is. Good job you're not a right-wing
journalist. You'll never be Mayor of London.