Superbowl setlist and Daltrey/Clapton

Alan McKendree amck at thenetdr.com
Tue Dec 29 23:50:29 UTC 2009

> In a message dated 12/18/2009 5:45:05 PM Eastern Standard Time,
> bkawak at charter.net writes:
>
>> You're all wrong. They will lip synch to recently recorded edited
>> versions of the 3 CSI songs. There, I said it. LOL :)  Oh, the
>> horror! :) No
>> rehearsing needed, no worry about Roger's voice, the perfect
>> solution.

I've learned not to bet against Bruce, but I think he's being a bit
tongue-in-cheek here.  I'm with those who don't think we'll get
edited versions of anything.  Coincidentally -- or not -- the three
CSI songs are the ones that are always played to backing tapes.
Changing those up creates the specter of someone, anyone, getting
lost and effing it all up while the tape chugs on unaffected. Too
gruesome to contemplate.

I'm not going to predict the setlist but I will predict that we won't
hear any edits or medleys that haven't already been done onstage --
e.g., My Generation into Amazing Journey/Sparks would be a
theoretical possibility.  And I also wouldn't be surprised if they
run long.  These "unbreakable" time constraints are exactly what Pete
likes to trample over -- his still-present "I'll do what I want"
streak coming to the fore.  The higher-pressure the situation, the
likelier Pete is to give it the finger in some form.  The only
exception I can think of is Concert for New York.

Cheers,
Alan McKendree
Townshend, 1967