Happy Jack's 10 years old

Jim nakedi at comcast.net
Wed Dec 23 14:12:02 UTC 2009

From: <JOELTLE515 at aol.com>

> well, that was your average who concert, where they could pretty much do
> whatever the hell they want. the superbowl halftime show is TIMED,
> PRECISE,
> practically militant. there will be ALOT of rehearsing, I can guarantee
> you
> that!

Not the kind of rehearsing I'm talking about.  They'd need to play the newly
formatted songs right the way through a dozen or more times.  They are not
going to do that for one show.  Pete & Roger have been playing & singing
these songs a certain way for 30-40 years. Ripping out a verse here or a
chorus there, chopping up this solo or that interlude, is not going to be as
easy as we're making it sound.  I only talk about the botching of songs to
illustrate how they can get lost in songs that haven't changed for hundreds
of shows.  It's particularly likely at the start of tours.  In just the
handful of shows I've seen in the past 5 years, I've seen them botch Who Are
You (Roger scrambled the lyrics), Baba (minor gaffe by Rabbit coming in
early), Eminence Front (both guys seemed to completely lose their place),
Love Ain't For Keeping (Pete solos over Roger starting a line), Mie Post
Theme (Roger lost the lyrics completely) and a host of other minor lyric
flubs that resulted in mumbling a line or two.  We've seen several youtube
clips where songs needed to be restarted because of errors.  Other TV
appearances (e.g., Black Widow's Eyes on Parkinson) have required multiple
takes to get the song right.

I don't think any of that would be a problem if they just pick a few songs
and play them like they're used to.  Some of the shorter oldies would be
great for this format.  Baba is the shortest of the CSI songs, so I say end
with that.

Jim M