plaque unveiled where pete first smashed guitar

Alan McKendree amck at thenetdr.com
Sat Dec 19 05:14:50 UTC 2009

> From: JOELTLE515 at aol.com
> Date: December 14, 2009 10:36:05 PM CST
>
> http://www.examiner.com/x-24087-The-Who-Examiner~y2009m12d14-Plaque-
> unveiled-celebrating-Townshend-guitar-smashing

The Railway.   Some of us went there during the Who convention in
September '98.  It was a dirty dump, but still in operation, so we
had a pint, and the barman pointed out the corner of the bar where
The Who would hang out. The urinals there are etched in my memory as
possessing the most unbelievable smell I've ever encountered in a
rest room...decades of various substances flowing into the cracks in
the grout...use your imagination.  The performance space was
downstairs, and was just an empty room with plywood sheets resting on
milk crates for a stage...the plywood and crates were the only thing
in the room.  And yes, standing on the plywood, the ceiling was very
low.  My imagination ran overtime trying to imagine not only The Who
playing but Stamp and Lambert there filming, etc. etc.

I went back after the December '99 Shepherd's Bush shows, and it had
been boarded up, with graffiti here and there.  Took a few grainy
pictures.  Not too long after, it burned down, probably because of
bums setting fires trying to stay warm.  I've often wondered whether
my pix are the last ever taken of it.

Alan McKendree
Townshend, 1967