Quadrophenia: Royal Concert Hall review

Brian Cady brianinatlanta2001 at yahoo.com
Wed Aug 12 10:43:42 UTC 2009

>From This is Nottingham:
http://tinyurl.com/q4eh3t

Review: Quadrophenia; Royal Concert Hall
Tuesday, August 11, 2009, 23:20

IT'S hard to know where to start - I loved the music, the performances and the action.

This cast of young performers gave it everything they had.They produced enough energy to light up a small town.

At the end of the show the audience was buzzing - and plenty were talking about getting tickets to see it again.

The band were awesome and the cheers and the applause for them equalled that for the young actor/singers.

Pete Townshend's classic rock opera has been much debated but at its simplest level it tells the story of tormented teenager Jimmy who tries to find himself and make sense of his humdrum life by running with the Mods.

There are four distinct sides to his personality - the tough guy, the romantic, the lunatic and the beggar and hypocrite. The four lads who play Jimmy constantly battle for supremacy as the different facets of his character emerge.

They sang and acted their hearts out and although I wasn't always sure which one was which it didn't matter, I caught up.

The supporting cast were as talented and committed; Sydney Rae White, who played The Girl, only had one big number but boy, did she make it count when she sang Love, Reign O'er Me. What a voice!

Townshend's music moves from powering rock, to classical, to hymn-like. It's beautiful, aggressive and moving. The band (I have to mention them again) got stuck into it and really made it count.

Fans of the work will love this but you don't need to be a fan to be knocked out. You just need to appreciate music and to believe it is a privilege to witness young talent in action.

 -Brian in Atlanta
The Who This Month!
http://www.thewhothismonth.com