Ken Russell on Lisztomania

Susan DeSimone suesjoy at gmail.com
Tue Apr 28 21:25:11 UTC 2009

> [...]
> Under my Thumb
> Mother's little helper
> Stupid Girl
>
> They also did produce one great album - probably the best Stones album of
> them all - Let it Bleed - and on Exile on Main Street there was Keith's
> best
> song, Happy, and on Beggars Banquet there was Sympathy for the devil -
> surely one of their best ever songs?
>
> There's no doubt that Jagger and Richard had a great ear for pop singles,
> and in recent years we've had such great tracks as
>
> Start me up
> It's only rock n roll
> Undercover of the night
> Emotional rescue
> Mixed emotions.
>
> While the Stones will never equal the Who - or even the Beatles or Beach
> Boys in my ears and eyes, they can't ever be written off completely.
>
> John

> Just to elaborate on what I wrote before about the Stones: A) Still love
> the tunes, B) Love sloppiness and improv, it's just that Mick's refusal to
> sing makes me feel like he doesn't care, and finally C) I've only seen the
> Stones once - in 1981 - and it wasn't horrible, but I haven't seen them
> live since. As an addendum, I too would love Pete & Rog to mix up the
> setlist a bit (I was apoplectic when they played Tatoo in Detroit when I
> saw them a few months ago), but I understand why they keep the list the
> same, because they put it together for the 95% of the audience - unlike us
> on this list - who don't see them multiple times per tour.
>
> -Chris in Cleveland
>

> ---- JOELTLE515 at aol.com wrote:
>> in the words of peter griffin from "family guy", "you guys are asses!"
>>
>> but seriously, some points from stubborn ol' me:

>> for me since I don't "go to" movies. and I must say, it was a great
>> experience for me. probably the next best thing to seeing the stones in
>> person.
>> (cheaper too)
>> "show", meaning where the singer is singing "notes" and everything is
>> "perfect", no "sloppiness", go to the opera or a classical concert.
>> KILLER!   someone went on and on about that mick should be dancing with
>> women
>> onstage. I take it you didn't see the spot in the film with christina
>> aguilera? or mick with sheryl crow on one of their other DVDs?
>> exactly what the setlist is gonna be. in other words, an "ultimate rock
>> experience". danger, anticipation, wonder.  meanwhile, the who have been
>> doing
>> the same boring / dragged out setlist since, what, two years ago?  not
>> sure
>> about the stones, but I have a feeling when you see bruce and the E
>> street
>> band, you definitely get your money's worth.     and by the way, if you
>> guys
>> aren't really fans of bruce or the stones, why see them live?  give the

OOH!!! Psyched that this is coming out on DVD. I have never SEEN this
flick...and I've been dying to.
Forget Rog riding a giant penis, I just want to see Ringo playing the Pope
in cowboy boots!

I HAVE seen giant penis statues before though...in India... and here in
Taiwan too...
Single women pray before them for husbands ! (seriously)    I think in
Taiwan it's a fertility thing...
So anywho, the giant penis thing is ANCIENT...not whacky at all..........

One thing is fer sure, music has historically been a constant/effective
aphrodisiac! (BEING a musician,that is!!!).   ;)